ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

XBLA mods
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye XBLA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can see everyone’s been hard at work with the CE at http://n64vault.com/ge-xbla-tools:community-edition-updater
I couldn’t find a change log though
At a glance it looks like:

Removed beta comment
Goldeneye ring made red
Temple door textures (new) have been adjusted. The pillars nearest the centre still seems to be fully black but it was always pretty dark so this might be right.
Egyptian doors now have textures - mostly their original ones except the lower half of the Golden Gun room one which is the same as Temple’s (labelled AB on the original editor)
Shotgun muzzle flash gone

I’m not convinced that the side textures for AB doors like right (the one with the picture) but that’s just me. For the other (new) Egyptian textures, (AA, AC, AD, AE, AF) should they be replaced with the Egyptian wall texture? I don’t really understand it, but I assume there’s a scale aspect that would need adjusting.

The black staircase at tower 2 on dam is still present (new).
Frigate MP still has invisible doors but I think this is an easy fix if the doors go back to texture 98: ie change 6 instances of 01 00 00 01 00 99 00 to 01 00 00 01 00 98 00
I almost wonder if it would be better if these doors were removed or unlocked though - were they meant to be deleted perhaps but the job was incomplete?

I have redone the Dr No mod (edit: apply to original default.xex and it will also make the current CE changes (as of 24/3) and the Frigate textures mentioned next post):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0feykn9lc6xo0p/DrNo3.xdelta?dl=0
Edit - updated version (see later post): https://www.dropbox.com/s/scvcg2nhnmel1he/DrNo4.xdelta?dl=0

Edit: No idea how I missed the change log - clearly there!

Thanks everyone for your hard work!

Last edited by Dark Reyn on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Reyn wrote:
Frigate MP still has invisible doors but I think this is an easy fix if the doors go back to texture 98: ie change 6 instances of 01 00 00 01 00 99 00 to 01 00 00 01 00 98 00
I almost wonder if it would be better if these doors were removed or unlocked though - were they meant to be deleted perhaps but the job was incomplete?

At the risk of seeming to be talking to myself... I have come with a few solutions to "fixing" Frigate. There are a few permutations depending on how people wanted to use it and I’m slightly curious to know what people think. The fact the doors are different makes me think their was a different intention. Or perhaps they just wanted to make it clear that they were locked (old texture reads “keep clear”).

1) Unlocking doors:
Change 80 to 00 near the end of each door section (160 bytes later I think)
Door label is XX in the form
01 00 00 01 00 99 00 XX
The central section is enclosed by doors 4B, 4F and 50
The balcony doors are 57 and 58 (the way they open stops you going onto balcony though)
The stern/hanger door is 5C

2) Making invisible doors visible (no impact on gameplay):
Change all 6 doors bearing texture 99 to 98 by changing
01 00 00 01 00 99
to
01 00 00 01 00 98

3) Deleting doors:
As option 1 but nulling (ie replacing with 0s) the whole section (ie all 252 bytes)

4) Deleting crates:
Nulling the last 4 crates (ie replacing with 0s) labelled
01 00 00 03 00 35 27 XX
where XX is 72 - 75

Last edited by Dark Reyn on Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad to see you not only mentioning issues, but also taking it upon yourself to think of different possible solutions. Since just yesterday, I did update that KEEP CLEAR door. Both graphics modes used the same, only half visible, N64 style model. I made the original style visible again, but there were some texture problems with the overlaid images (caution stripe and text), so those are not set to show for the time being. I also customized one for the new style.

Since you've been playing around with that map, you've probably seen that it has doors and props in the locked off areas. There is even a weapon set on the bridge. I shared a photo on my GoldenEye Mods Twitter.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Wreck. Yeah I noticed that it was a one sided texture. It may have been that they were intended to face outwards from a locked area and so the back wasn’t necessary except they never finished making sure they faced correctly. I made a version where I unlocked the doors and deleted the crates and saw the other props and doors. I didn’t notice anything odd about the bridge weapons though. I had thought they pick up normally. By my reckoning the map already has all 8 standard weapon spawn locations and the bridge is number 5 (if 0-7).

Looking at the Twitter page I see you’ve been busy. Very well done. I am still pretty ignorant about modding but since I got the hex editor and have fiddled with some of the N64 maps with GE Editor I do at least now understand some of the basics about how the props etc are placed.

All the bugs I had noticed have now been addressed although no doubt I’ve missed some. My friends and I have found a decent way of playing online and I’m mostly concerned with what is fun to play. Hence removing body armour, creating a true one hit kills health, setting a custom limit and creating a (somewhat crude) way of allowing people to customise weapon sets using my google sheet.

Frigate felt wrong or incomplete and I think it has potential so, next week we’ll try some different permutations and see what is the most fun. I didn’t create any weapon spawns at the engine room though which is probably required if using the whole ship. I think deleting the balcony doors works well though as a sniping point. It’s a shame I think the Windows to the bridge aren’t really windows though, that could have worked well.

Oh, quick question, do you know how the floating points work in hex? I couldn’t quite work out the MP health options. Or coordinates of stuff for that matter.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can use the Data Convertor that is under Tools in the GE Editor to easily convert different values. Hex to Dec, Float to Dec, Hex to Float, etc.

The set on the bridge is actually fine. I think the issue was that I was using Random sets, and it loaded something that only had crates, no weapon. My ammo for it may have been full, so I could not pick them up.

I'll be taking a stab at a Frigate MP setup sometime soon. I also have Dam Frontzone ready to go. It's alright making them if you can getaway with using pre-existing pads to place your items and spawns, but once you need to customize a pad for better placement, it gets a little more annoying.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hadn’t thought of looking on GE editor, thanks. I may look at making some tweaks to weapon spawns in a fully open Frigate if I can use the floats. Is there a simple way of checking an item’s coordinates in GE Editor? I can check against the N64 version.

I would have thought all the front zones/ back zones should be in a single mod rather than on separate ones. I’ll share my Frigate if I can do what I’m intending.

Unfortunately I continue to be frustrated in my efforts to make a proper Dr No mod. I’ve looked at the differences for the N64 mod but I feel like Neo looking at the Matrix code...

I presume there is work afoot to get the GE Editor to open the xex. And for that matter, I wonder also about Perfect Dark (although this would seem significantly harder in iso form) but if this was done it would seem that the work on GEX could be transferred to Xbox if that was something you were interested in.

Coming back to gameplay, the Google sheet I constructed works fine (although crude) for custom weapons. There was the Goldeneye Weapon Set Editor before and it seems like someone with some basic programming skills (not me) could make this into a simple program so it was slightly more user friendly.

Also re gameplay, my friends and I have been using Xenia hosted on a server using Parsec which runs very smoothly, but it occurs to me that if there was something allowing Xenia to use another network, that would work best of all. Does anyone know if this is something that exists? A brief Google search suggests not.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
That would (should?) crash the N64 during level loading.

Ah. So the later CE updates now cause exactly this to occur. Actually weirdly it turns all the doors into keys then crashes after you pick one up...

Anyway, I’ve worked out a more sensible solution. By searching for all 78 instances of 01 80 00 15 00
and changing a bit flag to F8 (ie don’t load on MP/1P) then body armour won’t appear (or any object for that matter (see my earlier thoughts about doors and crates on Frigate)).
Format is 01 80 00 15 00 XX XX XX 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 F8

I’ve created an xdelta to disable all body armour:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/scvcg2nhnmel1he/DrNo4.xdelta?dl=0

If you backup default.xex then replace it with the modded one, then subsequent CE patches should still work on it and the Dr No mod will remain in place along with whatever mods or patches have been applied.

Carnivorous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
If you backup default.xex then replace it with the modded one, then subsequent CE patches should still work on it

Updater diff patch assumes original unmodified files - I cannot guarantee this method will work with future updates.

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Carnivorous wrote:
Updater diff patch assumes original unmodified files - I cannot guarantee this method will work with future updates.

That’s fair enough. Although I think it should be ok because it changes very little and the data are all located in the same place. Although armour changes eg update 23/3 may reset some back to being present on specific 1P maps (have checked, body armours 2A, E3 and 17 on Surface 2, Silo and Statue respectively are reinstated). I’m mostly doing this for myself and my friends but I thought I’d share what I’ve done in case anyone else wants to use it.

Edit: Wreck worked out an easier way to do this:
Remove Body Armour:
CDB68: 820D2D7C -> 820D3214

Last edited by Dark Reyn on Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dark Reyn
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

With some help from Wreck I have made a full version of Frigate MP. https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0jr9sy9pyvb0ry/fullfrigate.xdelta?dl=0
The xdelta works on the original default.xex. Like my Dr No patch you can apply the CE updater to the file and it seems to work but it isn’t future proof. You might need to back up files and remove manifest.new.bin in the update folder to force the update but as a rule it’s probably not wise to mess around too much with the CE files - my main reason for doing so is that Wreck’s patch opening up the windows on the bridge works really nicely with the map. Although I think I’ve selected out the specific file change needed if anyone wanted to simply do the window change separately by applying https://www.dropbox.com/s/inwaqep6qktax3i/frigate_hits_window.xdelta?dl=0 to the file in new\background\frigate_hits although I think doing the CE update is easily the best option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye XBLA All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: