ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Cancelled gun revealed on original Goldeneye box art

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferrarifan_24
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Cancelled gun revealed on original Goldeneye box art Reply with quote Back to top

Since the XBLA version of Goldeneye has leaked I've developed a renewed interest in the game. It reminded me of an article I read back in the 90's in EGM that talked about one of guns pictured on the back of the original N64 boxart. According to the article the gun was only available in the Japanese version of the game. Although I ended up buying the Japanese version of the game eventually I never found it.

After a few Google searches I wasn't able to locate any new info on it. Has anyone heard anything on this or perhaps can link to some relevant info on it? Thanks.

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thats just the PPK... its in all versions.

Trev

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

...that's the PP7.

The old Kalashnikov AK47 model is on the back of the box, though, and there were many dumb rumors about that being the Spyder mentioned in the manual, but it was just the original model for the KF7 Soviet. I'm sure at one point someone claimed it was still in the Japanese version, because baseless speculation ran rampant in the old "beta" scene. The reality is that the screenshots on the back of the box are just from early in development, and as such there are differences to be seen in every one of them.

There are differences in the Japanese version, most notably hunting knives were removed and their cheat replaced by one that gives a paired rocket launcher and sniper rifle instead. The game is easier thanks to body armor placements and auto-aim behavior being the same as other regions' Agent on all difficulties. It's the preferred version for speedrunning due to other subtle behind the scenes changes.

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought they were talking about the gun the guard is holding. Though, that is really hard to make out. It doesn't look like the D5K, but it could just be a different existing weapon, like the shotgun. Maybe?

Mick310
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
It's the preferred version for speedrunning due to other subtle behind the scenes changes.

Can you elaborate on these behind the subtle scenes changes?

Also is that a bunch of blood on the floor in that picture?

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mick310 wrote:

Also is that a bunch of blood on the floor in that picture?

On the floor? No, l only see the decals painted on the floor. The Janus guard looks quite bloodied, but that's normal.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mick310 wrote:

The best reference I could find with a quick search was this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDLQSnQfZrg&t=0s

It pretty much states the same thing I did differently, though, the NTSC-J version just runs slightly better than the North American NTSC version. There are behind the scenes code optimizations that probably account for this.

One thing that both I and the video forgot to mention is that explosion overload is handled entirely differently between versions: NTSC drops any extra explosions entirely, most visible with some remote mines just disappearing instead of detonating when too many explosions are taking place. PAL altered this dividing the explosions into groups and staggering them (the same behavior seen in Perfect Dark), but NTSC-J is kind of in between: remote mines won't disappear without exploding, you're free to manually detonate them after the explosions clear.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: