ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Documentation for Editing Stuff with Memory Peek/Poke

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StupidMarioBros1Fan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Documentation for Editing Stuff with Memory Peek/Poke Reply with quote Back to top

Over the past couple of months I remade my Mario Characters mod basically from scratch because instead of using the previous version as a base, I used Carnivorous' Footsteps Patch specifically so I could use the "Change X Track" Function. Although that was the initial reason, I quickly found out how powerful the Memory Peek/Poke Function is which resulted in a lot of cool things for the mod.

Model Swapping, Character Resizing, Custom Cheats, and Menu Edits were done through the Action Blocks.

Some stuff was done by looking at the official Footsteps Tutorial as well as other mods that use the Footsteps Patch as a base like Tomorrow Never Dies 64, but a lot of this I figured out myself.
Although the Memory Peek/Poke Function can only access RAM Addresses that start with 8, this does include most, if not all, of the 21990 File which in turn means most of the Game Confiuration Tab.
Using HxD Hex Editor's Data Comparison feature, I documented multiple Hex & RAM Addresses for various things along with Important Info for if you edit them with the Memory Peek/Poke Function.

While I didn't document everything, it does contain everything I used for Mario Characters v3.1 plus a few more that were tested for one reason or another.
This includes Weapon File Names, Guard Sizes, Briefing Files, and the Skyboxes.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/1FQuyequshbXCsBST9sGOcyeeaX9xHQw9

For the most part, this is (as far as I can tell) new documentation as I would just look at existing threads for existing information, like this thread for a lot of the Level-related stuff:

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7771

Also looked at Zoinkity's GE Documentation which can be found here:

https://github.com/kholdfuzion/goldeneye_docs/tree/master/notes/GE%20Documentation

Editing the Mission Select Menu to change what Level is used is actually pretty simple, just change the Level ID and the Briefing File.
The Level ID handles the Setup, Scale, Text Bank, Background & Clipping Files, no editing required.
The Briefing File loads the Level ID's Text Bank so it needs to be changed to avoid a freeze but after that the Mission works perfectly.
The Pictures are part of Object 013E (PwalletbondZ) so you have to edit the Model or Textures directly.

Because the Memory Peek/Poke Function is for Action Blocks, Editing the Menu has to be done within a Level, so for Mario Characters I created a small Solo Setup for Temple and then went the extra mile of making the changes Interactable as well as a small demo of other things like Model Swapping and Character Resizing.

When it comes to adding Missions, the game Freezes if you change the number of Mission Headers so you'll have to play around a bit. If you look at the Action Blocks for Temple, it got complicated pretty quickly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: