ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Switch and Xbox versions announced
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Switch and Xbox versions announced Reply with quote Back to top

So we now know that GoldenEye will be seeing a release for the Nintendo Switch (as part of the NSO service), as well as Xbox (which is offered free to those who own Rare Replay, or can be purchased by itsef). There is still more to learn, especially dates, but here is some info...

The Switch version will be emulated, and support online multiplayer. Thankfully there is the Switch N64 controller you can use, so the controls should be decent. If you can track one down for a good price.

Xbox obviously couldn't use the same emulation, as that would be Nintendo property, so they had to "rebuild" the game. They are claiming this will offer a smoother frame rate and 4K visuals. But... no online MP? Big loss for them.

Do note that the XBLA remaster leak is not part of this deal. Could maybe some day we see that one finished, or another made? At least seeing this cooperation, it is a possibility. See you in another 25 years. Wink

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fun facts: The trailer teased on Twitter used my HD restores for the music.
To avoid licensing issues Robin Beanland had redone the whole OST, but I believe licensing issues were since cleared up, so my expectation (not confirmed, just what I believe) is that they will be using the original music.

L. Spiro

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've heard that the Switch multiplayer is with friends or local only. I just bought a switch, but I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money for GE if there's no matchmaking...

Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So, it's definitely part of the NSO expansion pass? Because the alternative is it somehow being a separate product using the same technology. I haven't seen anyone complain about the expansion pass yet, so that's why it makes me wonder if people don't know about the pass or if the game's actually separate.

StupidMarioBros1Fan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's part of the paid Nintendo Switch Online Service, specifically the "Expansion Pack" version where you get access to N64 Games for double the price.
Monthly/Yearly Subscription service, the included Retro Games are not offered individually so you won't have to worry about paying extra to play GoldenEye online...at the cost of never actually owning it. Retro Games can be played offline but I'm pretty sure you'll lose access if you stop paying for the service so I don't recommend getting it just to play GoldenEye on Switch.

Was really hoping for the XBLA version or possibly a new Remake since XBLA is now older than the Original was at the time of XBLA's development. While disappointing, still great that we're getting a rerelease in general as it opens the door to possibly more 007 games getting rereleased or maybe something more with GoldenEye in general...although considering that the Xbox version isn't getting online maybe the negations were too complicated and this is the best we'll get.

HackBond

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The versions are coming out on the 27th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoKo2r3vLpM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjW00as9XCA&feature=youtu.be

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just watched that Switch promo video. They've obviously made some improvements to the emulation as I noticed that the framerates in 4-player mode were much better than on real hardware.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've just been playing the XBox One version, and it's great! But it's only great because it's a carbon copy of the original game, because sadly they have made no enhancements to it, other than (of course) upping the game's resolution and letting the game be controlled with dual analogue sticks.

I thought it would have the enhanced graphics of the leaked XBLA version, online multiplayer, and maybe, just maybe, a few level of game mechanics, such as having you visit the island in the dam level, showing the actual bungie rope when you jump off the dam, let you ride the motor-bike to reach the airplane in the runway level, etc. I was also hoping for bots in the multiplayer game.*

But instead it's just (as far as I can tell) the N64 version compiled (or emulated, I don't know) to run on the XBox One (and presumably the XBox series consoles) and then upscaled to the XBoxes' higher resolutions. I've not noticed anything new, or even an attempt to take the rough edges off the graphics, though admittedly I've not spent long with the game, nor seen most of the levels, due to lack of time.

Maybe it was unreasonable to expect a remaster like they did with Perfect Dark on the XBox 360, but I don't see how this took so long. They said the game was definitely coming "soon", and that was months ago, and they then proceeded to miss the lucrative Christmas period, and when it comes out it's basically just a 1:1 copy of the original.

* Oh well, the lack of bots doesn't bother me much anyway, as thanks to Goldeneye X we can play basically Goldeneye Deluxe ++ against bots, what with all of the extra features and levels and stuf Very Happy

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it seems a non-effort emulation of the original, basically. Xbox has a few extra options inside the watch, additional control schemes, and not much else. Switch may have online multi, but unless your opponents are within your region, it chugs. Any framerate improvements are lost there. Local "couch" multi is still the better option. The company who handled it (Code Mystics) aren't very likely not to fix / improve anything. They are already blaming any issues on both the original game, and on the Rare Replay emulator. So I feel what was released is probably final, but I would love to be proven wrong.

Thanks for the kind words on GE-X. I was getting it ready for a new release, but many of us on N64 Vault Discord believe it should be postponed due to the re-release. I will go into greater detail in the proper forum for that.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Whelp, a bit of anticipation logging into these forums! Wondering if my account still works.

I can't touch this without the N64 controller and I think getting Madonna tickets would be easier to accomplish.

I am an obvious traditionalist. So of course I'm going to wonder about details.

I've heard someone say that magnum and rc-p90 cannot shoot through doors. Or, rather they said no bullet holes. That implies you cannot shoot through doors with them. Can anyone confirm?

Would also like to know about A+B remote mines. Also, reverse cycling weapons possible?

Aside from that? This has me curious there is no doubt about it.

I know people complaining about 30FPS and I get that. But I think we can agree that the Switch hardware isn't capable of 60FPS. Which makes me wonder...next gen. Can GoldenEye N64 be released for a new console?

But of course the biggest question of all is this. Can Nintendo alter game code. Yes, all the codes that Wreck, Sub, Zoink, all the creations and brilliance. Does Nintendo have any legal rights to add to the game, tweak the game?

I will admit going back to regular, unaltered multiplayer is not ideal. They need all rockets and golden gun fun for one main reason. Those combos are easy on the framerates when it comes to 4 player or 3 player. We can debalte that if you like. Bullets flying from automatic weapons slows down 4 player more than anything.

Sad to hear if that's true about lag. May not be a deal breaker though. Hard to say.

I will admit that I just watched some footage of the XBLA arcade version and I almost lost it. Not in a good way. Microsoft completely lost the essence of the game. The feel. Completely ruined it.

It's too bad nothing was moved forward on the OC version of emulated GoldenEye. I believe the issue was it breaks the rate of fire, which could have been remedied although that was/is way over my head.

In terms of Nintendo vs. Microsoft versions? I would be curious. I personal want the version that is unaltered. I want every item in the exact spot as it was. Every explosion, the same damage. All of it.

Last thing from me for now is this. Nintendo may very well leave a lot on the table here. After all this time, they could have rolled out something to keep this going. Maybe they don't have rights to do anything with the game now. I saw far more monetization options for them from this release, which I wrote to them about. More than just controller sales. All of the creations that this community has come up with? Rightfully they should be part of all of this.

What I can say too is this. If you watch people streaming 1 vs. 1 online multiplayer on the Switch? You realize that no graphical upgrades required. Completely unnecessary. It all comes down to gameplay mechanics. It's a shooter. It doesn't have to have fancy backgrounds or lighting. This is about strategy and gameplay. In that sense, to me at least, it's not dated. In 2023 there is no what? There is no 1 vs. 1 shooter. Most certainly I expect the younger generation to play this at some point. Kids parents grew up on the game and when they can get a N64 controller? Sure, those kids will play it too.

My wishlist:
- fixed LTK so weapon hits don't kill
- all rockets
- golden gun fun
- all the multiplayer characters
- phantoms in multiplayer
- no music in the multiplayer options screen
- no body armor

(can add to this obviously, but memory starts to fail...)

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just watched a stream of the single player on Switch. Have to say looks flawless including the Cradle. Glad that no changes to shooting through doors. I would say it's unadulterated.

As for actually getting a Switch N64 controller?

On a side note. We used to go directly to Nintendo in our city where they did repairs. So...who thinks Nintendo might have those thumbsticks back in stock? Would they replace worn out ones on original controllers? Call me curious. I'm actually not even sure about how these new ones are constructed. Probably a heaping of wishful thinking on my part.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: This is so bad ass :) Reply with quote Back to top

God the memories and legend of this game never die Very Happy I will buy a switch one day just for this!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GE MASTER wrote:
Whelp, a bit of anticipation logging into these forums! Wondering if my account still works.
But of course the biggest question of all is this. Can Nintendo alter game code. Yes, all the codes that Wreck, Sub, Zoink, all the creations and brilliance. Does Nintendo have any legal rights to add to the game, tweak the game?

...All of the creations that this community has come up with? Rightfully they should be part of all of this.

That's an interesting question. There's a lot of speculation out there that the reason Nintendo made no significant "quality of life" enhancements to the game is that doing so was prohibited by whatever licensing deals they had to do this. But putting that aside for the broader question of, does Nintendo have the right to include fan-made content? I highly doubt it, and I would argue that IPS patches as well as gameshark code hacks are the intellectual property of their creators. Now that said, if Nintendo were to come to me and ask permission to include my content in the re-release? ABSOLUTELY. Would I want compensation for it? Well...yeah. If Nintendo were to profit off of my work, I would want a cut.

Since I haven't followed modern video games for some time, I will ask the question to the rest of you - are there any examples of Nintendo ever including fan-made content in any of its re-releases? For Goldeneye in particular, one hack that would have been great to see would have been the Mario 64 import level - whoever did that did an amazing job with koopa characters and the whole works. Just the idea of Bond walking around in Peach's castle would have been a great selling point for this game.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I doubt Nintendo would want to mix the "realistic violence" of GoldenEye with their family friendly Mario series. Running around shooting at each other in a nostalgia-filled safe space like Peach's castle would probably be horrifying to them.

If GE XBLA ever saw a proper release, and they wanted to utilize any of my MP level setups for it (Lord knows their newest attempts were.. lacking), I'd be happy with just tacking my name someplace in the credits. I still have an unreleased map pack for it...

Really great to see you on here again, GE Master! Guess if anything could have you return, it is an official re-release. Hope all is well. Smile

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Wreck! Yes, this release really stirred me up. bmw I forgot to mention your name in my first post. MultiplayerX too, of course! My bad!! You guys are part of the group of geniuses. To anyone else, I'm sorry I don't know names of new contributors. I'm aging myself...

Agree with your points about Nintendo's mindset.

I think my main enthusiasm comes from the fact that Nintendo is making the Nintendo 64 controller again and has GoldenEye in this rerelease. I think it was pretty clear where my head has been at regarding competitive GoldenEye. That hasn't changed much even after all these years.

Here is food for thought. Forget about mods for a moment. What about simply unlocking all the levels for 4 players? Those were locked out due to not making the grade due to the hardware. Does my memory serve me correctly on that?

My point being, opening up those levels in 3 and 4 player, that's not a big modification. But can they do anything at all to the code? They were permitted to add online and that's rather monumental. So...it's not a big coding project to open up all the levels. Big wishful thinking on my part.

Nintendo could milk this game for years but likely will never happen. They can't product enough controllers but what revenue should that actually account for? How about the people signing up to play this online? Memberships is what they want. They could propel this launch to be a cash cow.

If you've taken any time to watch steams of people playing the multiplayer it's pretty clear that the magic is still there. It's such a different unique experience from what FPS online matches are these days. Not in a bad way either. I think it's called fun. Laughing. Even the younger generation who should shun at a game such as this in 2023. I've kept a close eye on reactions.

Richard Barrington Hill. That's the guy I remember. Where art thou? The UK GoldenEye champion. Why I remember his name? No idea.

On a side note, regarding GE XBLA. I am not up on this. Sorry if I'm coming off bad here but I have to keep it real. From what I've seen? I would call it an abomination. It's like an artists interpretation on what they thought GoldenEye N64 should have been, not what was/is. I don't want to sidetrack this thread. I had to say this though. I didn't realize they changed the look and feel to that extent. Dark, gloomy. Yeah, ok. That is the opposite of what GoldenEye N64 multiplayer is. But hey, it's the nature of the beast. It should have been this or that. So let's release our version of what we think it should have been. But I digress!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: