ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

New to Setup Editor - need help exporting levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HowlinDog
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: New to Setup Editor - need help exporting levels Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, nice to be here. I've been playing GoldenEye 64 since release day in '97 and in recent years have been watching lots of nostalgic content online including the custom missions that have been released in recent years. I fancied a new challenge so thought I'd give it a go myself!

I've been toying around with the setup editor for a few days now, with my first goal to "redux" a few of the missions that I always found rather disappointing and lacking as I felt them a bit poorly realised and non-sensical, with Archives probably being top of the list of that.

I've been working on making it much closer to the film and removing the ridiculous logic black hole of rescuing Natalya only for her to disappear again right at the start of the level, apparently taken by Ouromov who never even appeared in the first place!
Now I've got it so that Natalya does not appear in the level and the level starts with you being interrogated by Mishkin before a Janus operative enters the room and takes him out, much closer to the plot of the film. (Was going to go with Ouromov but editing the action blocks were already a nightmare enough for a newbie without trying to get him to perform all the required actions and then flee afterwards!)

With everything finally done and after several excrutiating hours of self-teaching myself past all manner of errors and complications, the time has now come to export the level and test & play it in the ROM itself. But after several more hours of trying, I just cannot achieve this whatsoever. I've browsed these forums, read the guides on N64 vault (most of which are way out of date) and tried everything but even when the ROM looks to have converted/injected/exported/whatevered with no errors, when I load it up in Project64 I'm just confronted with a blank black screen. On the few rare occasions the ROM has loaded and the game started, the Archives level remains unchanged and vanilla.
Can anyone provide any help on this? Is there an up to date guide for the latest version of the editor? I've sunk so many hours into this and would hate to waste it all, plus I have plans to redux the entire campaign if this works and is fun to play.

Many thanks in advance!

HackBond

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: New to Setup Editor - need help exporting levels Reply with quote Back to top

HowlinDog wrote:
Hi all, nice to be here. I've been playing GoldenEye 64 since release day in '97 and in recent years have been watching lots of nostalgic content online including the custom missions that have been released in recent years. I fancied a new challenge so thought I'd give it a go myself!

I've been toying around with the setup editor for a few days now, with my first goal to "redux" a few of the missions that I always found rather disappointing and lacking as I felt them a bit poorly realised and non-sensical, with Archives probably being top of the list of that.

I've been working on making it much closer to the film and removing the ridiculous logic black hole of rescuing Natalya only for her to disappear again right at the start of the level, apparently taken by Ouromov who never even appeared in the first place!
Now I've got it so that Natalya does not appear in the level and the level starts with you being interrogated by Mishkin before a Janus operative enters the room and takes him out, much closer to the plot of the film. (Was going to go with Ouromov but editing the action blocks were already a nightmare enough for a newbie without trying to get him to perform all the required actions and then flee afterwards!)

With everything finally done and after several excrutiating hours of self-teaching myself past all manner of errors and complications, the time has now come to export the level and test & play it in the ROM itself. But after several more hours of trying, I just cannot achieve this whatsoever. I've browsed these forums, read the guides on N64 vault (most of which are way out of date) and tried everything but even when the ROM looks to have converted/injected/exported/whatevered with no errors, when I load it up in Project64 I'm just confronted with a blank black screen. On the few rare occasions the ROM has loaded and the game started, the Archives level remains unchanged and vanilla.
Can anyone provide any help on this? Is there an up to date guide for the latest version of the editor? I've sunk so many hours into this and would hate to waste it all, plus I have plans to redux the entire campaign if this works and is fun to play.

Many thanks in advance!

I have a guide on the N64vault's discord. I should probably rewrite it, but first you need to join that. Here's a link that's valid for 7 days [LINK]

Once you're in, head to the #pg-tutorials channel, and enter the thread called "First Time with PG". It was originally written as a one-to-one with another user but it should give you a starting point. As for a full guide for the editor there isn't one. There is just guides on how to do some things. I'd love to write a full guide for the editor but that is a lot of options to explain.

EDIT: I can also give you pointers on the fly there too.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

HowlinDog
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: New to Setup Editor - need help exporting levels Reply with quote Back to top

HackBond wrote:
I have a guide on the N64vault's discord. I should probably rewrite it, but first you need to join that. Here's a link that's valid for 7 days [LINK]

Once you're in, head to the #pg-tutorials channel, and enter the thread called "First Time with PG". It was originally written as a one-to-one with another user but it should give you a starting point. As for a full guide for the editor there isn't one. There is just guides on how to do some things. I'd love to write a full guide for the editor but that is a lot of options to explain.

EDIT: I can also give you pointers on the fly there too.

Many thanks for the invite to the Discord! I'll join up and take a look, be good to have some people I can discuss it with too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: