ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Sound Effects?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaD
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Sound Effects? Reply with quote Back to top

Since Goldeneye's music can be ripped out of GoldenEye's ROM, is it also possible to get sound effects? Or do they work in a different way?

Does anybody have knowledge on this?

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, I think the rare witch project might have done/can do this. Or you could hook the audio up to a pc with a recorder on and use the gameshark no music code.

It is different though, so im not sure if it can be ripped directly off the ROM. Im pretty sure the sounds are in a different format than the music is.

PaD
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The SNES had an extra sound processor and each sound effect was a small "program" that told the processor what waves to put out.
So any sound (instrument) was a kind of wave file and a music file would then hold the info about what frequency which instrument should be played on, and of course, when.

I *think* the N64 has the same kind of sound processing and that would mean you could somehow trace the sound format through the music files...
The Rarewitchproject people should be able to do this... but they stopped hacking the game didn't they?

Valentin
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would love to get my hands on the sound effects (for my project - see the 'hacking' forum). Any way someone could rip them in high quality 48k WAV files?

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Rare Witch guys are all into Banjo-Kazooie, grrrr. I have a no music code, I think Ill try to rip some sounds as high quality as I can.

No Music But Sound Effects Are Still Heard
80011492 0024

Cant start this today though, I have homework to do. But before I try, I think Ill post at the Rare-Witch Forums and see if they can do it. Very Happy

UPDATE: AUGH! Their forums are messed up, and I hate whats been done to that site. BTW, the GE music was ripped directly off the ROM? Had the Rare Witch Project previosly done this? Im too impatient, im going to the good ol web archive and findin out.

UPDATE 2: My luck today, the web archive is down, and/or extremely slow.

UPDATE 3: I emailed Ice Mario, RareWitchProject's leader. Im using the edit feature quite alot today.

UPDATE 4: Ice Mario replied and said the forums would be up in a few days, but he did not know anything about this subject, although their forums might reveal some answers. I looked through for sound mods, and I guess there are different catagories (doors, weapons, etc.) I have only two working sound modifyers, one for doors and one for weapons. However, my emulator runs sound too slow because it never runs at 60 FPS. And there is no way im doing it individually off the console. And due to the immense catalog of sounds in the game, i am at this point just really hoping that somebody at RareWitch has some input.

Last edited by kcghost on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If ripping the sound effects directly from the game is too difficult or out of the question for most of us, I'd suggest using a no music code and sound modifiers for weapons. This way, you can record the audio from a gun in silence. So long as you do this in multiplayer, you'll be gauranteed that the only thing you'll hear is the one sound. Record it with a program at whatever rate of quality you choose. This may take some time to sample each effect, but you'd end up with the full catalogue.

KC: That's what the edit feature is for. I use it all the time! Smile
Edit: See, I just used it again!! Very Happy

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: sound effects eh? Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be more than happy to make a sound effects archive for ya. give me some time. scotty

Valentin
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Shadow! Can't wait!

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

anytime. there are a few movies I have in mind that have great sound effects too. little extra stuff...he he. Open Range has FANTASTIC reverb and distortion for shotgun blasts. Blow your **** speakers out BABY!!

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After posting at RareWitch and checking this out abit more, I found the best catalog of sounds you can get is with SRip: http://www.dextrose.com/index.php?s=3&m=8&f=784

Steps to get yourslef a good catalog of sounds:
1. Download SRip. Extract it to a directory right off C:\.
2. Run>command>Enter. cd .., cd .., cd srip01
3. Place your GoldenEye ROM in C:\Srip01\
4. Srip /s 9000 Goldeneye.rom

You should mess with the smaple rate (9000) to get the most accurate rip, I was just fooling with it, and found that it was best around that area. You should get a total of 186 wav files. Note: If you do not specify a sample rate, the default gives sounds that are inaccurate, or at least many are. You also may want to edit, slow down ar speed up some sounds that did not rip as well as they should.

After the sounds are gotten, you should use Winamp and add the whole directory, play it automatically. Sounds awesome, especially because related sounds are grouped together.

clowns789
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here is the 168 sound files.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Valentin
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome! thank you so much!

I am playing the sounds on my computer, but they sound slowed down. I know that the N64 sound is natively played at 22.050 Khz as opposed to the Cd standard of 44.1 Khz. Could that account for the appartent 50% slowdown?

I hate to throw another wrench into your plans but is there a way to change the sample rate to 44.1 (or preferebly 48 Khz! )? Thanks so much!

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was just messing around with it, testing it out and stuff. As far as I can tell, a lower sample rate (for srip) gives longer rips, and a higher gives shorter. I have no idea how it translates to standard sample rates, im no audio expert. I think Ill rip a sound off the console manually and compare with it's ripped sound to see if I can come up with a more accurate sample rate to go by. However, Im not entireley sure the entire catalog can go by the same rate accuratley, so some real work may still have to be done. Of course, I dont have too much time, Ill see If I can fit it in to by busy scedule (Do H.W, Play Legend Of Zelda: Master Quest in 1964, Watch Family Guy). Laughing

This SRip tool is amazing, what is strange is there is no link for it at Dextrose anymore, although the page still exists, instead there is another all-in-one window app that sounds all good, but has extremely bad results.

Even after finding a good sample rate and ripping, it is probrobly best to break out a good audio editor like Cool Edit Pro, er ... wait .. I think it was bought by Adobe... named somthin else now. Well anyway, back to point, these sounds had poor sample rates to begin with. They were tight on Cart space, as most of the N64 developers were, and had very poor quality rips and stuck them in there, also making them short and played long to reduce space and quality more. It is best to somehow make them better quality. Cool

BTW, has anyone looked at those two threads about Goldeneye over at RareWitch? There Amazing! Too bad the hype died ... it looked as if a Map Editor would start to be in production! Shocked

Kcghost Out. Smile

Valentin
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The reson that lower sample rates yeild longer rips is because it is 22.05 Khz - half of the normal CD standard. I believe the N64 plays it back at double speed so it sounds normal, but since the sample rate is lower, it takes up less memory space. Some N64 experts correct me if I am wrong. The problem is it requires a conversion in order to play back correctly. Cool Edit Pro is now Adobe's "Audition".

I will take a look at the files and see if I casn fix them simply be tweaking the sample rate back up to 48 Khz. Otherwise it may need a re-rip to sound normal. How did you rip these in the first place?

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Refer to my Earlier Post about SRip. You rip-em right off the ROM.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: