ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Next multi map project - Control Room via Stack
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Next multi map project - Control Room via Stack Reply with quote Back to top

I'm finally going to attempt a solo-multi hack.

So far I'm making moderate progress - I have mapped out all of the data from the stack's setup file as well as usable presets in my level.

I have to limit the playing area due to framerate issues in parts of the level. The level will consist of the big control room itself, the 2nd and 3rd floor which overlook it, and one or two of the side rooms.

As for objects, in the big room itself I'd like to place 4-6 tables with monitors/keyboards on them. Whatever I have left for remaining lines of code will go into creating as many panes of glass as possible and possibly a few objects on the 2nd floor. Obviously I can't place all 26 panes, but I'm hoping for anywhere from 5 to 10. Luckily I have some usable presets so that will conserve some code for me.

I'm still working on figuring out the advanced presets - if anybody could give me a breakdown of what all 68 bits of data actually do it'd be greatly appreciated. I've managed to get a pane of glass to spawn but I'm having trouble figuring out sizing and rotation.

I'll post some screenshots once I make a little more progress.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

XCoord
YCoord
ZCoord
XOffset
YOffset
ZOffset
rotationX
rotationY
rotationZ
pReference

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glass needs the 2xxx type preset. The easiest method to place them is to look at the clipping or background file, find the slot you want to place the glass into. Get the furthest point and the nearest point, then take the average of them. This becomes the actual preset location. The min/max x and min/max z are the offsets to reach the furthest and nearest point.

X rotation is the sin of the angle the object is at
Z rotation is the cosine of the angle
Y, when used, is tangent to the angle.

Or you can fudge it. I fudged the gates in dam rather easily ;*)

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I've more or less been fudging it. The hardest part is fine-tuning to get the glass EXACTLY where you want it and EXACTLY how big you want it to be.

Finally, after hours of tweaking, I got a pane of glass where I want it (I actually used it to cover 2 slots)

I'm hoping the rest go a lot smoother/quicker

Unfortunately, the panes are just a little too tall - they stick up about a half-foot through the ceiling. So I have to adjust the Y-sizing data as well. That particular pane took 6 lines of code.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote Back to top

UPDATE

I'm finally getting the hang of advanced presets and glass placement. I've got a few more panes of glass in place including some now upstairs.

I have 12 panes to work with, I'm hoping to be able to place all of them and still keep within my line restrictions.

I'll be editing this particular reply with screenshots as they become available.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm very impressed BMW!!! Looks like your on your way to becoming a great hacker. Here's props...... Cool Peace MultiX

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's actually a good idea, BMW. Using a single pane of glass to fill in two slots. It's exactly what Rare did in some of the Perfect Dark stages. Well, atleast in the Carrington Villa. So long as they are invincible, you wouldn't know the difference. Smile

Sorry I haven't replied back to your PM, I've been fairly busy this past week. Great to see that you're getting the hang of it. Run into any issues, just PM me. I'll try to respond with any help I can offer.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: re: invincible Reply with quote Back to top

No problem Wreck, I eventually figured out what I was doing wrong anyways. Plus, it forced me to learn things on my own which is really helpful now since I'm getting a better understanding of how room pointers/coordinates/clipping/etc all work.

As for the level - I'm still debating whether or not to make the glass invincible. If I did that, then anybody who is upstairs on the 3rd floor would be untouchable by anybody downstairs (and visa-versa). Making it invincible and tainted WOULD help the minor blackout issues I'm having (I seem to be getting some minor issues as I add more and more glass to the stage)

How do I make it bullet-proof but still destructible via explosives? (like in the solo version)

Oh, and on a side note, Stack ended up being the PERFECT setup file for this particular project. I get 12 panes of glass, more weapon sets than I need (which I will convert 2 sets over to 6 control room benches) and just enough doors that I can make destructible objects out of them (computers on top of the benches). Plus it provides me with just enough advanced preset positions to place my glass and probably 1 or 2 doors. AND - some of the basic presets are usable without further modification. Its all-around about as compatible as I could ask for.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You'll have to set the flags for them to become breakable by explosives alone.

This is what the Stack Glass looks like...
04 00 0B 62 00 00 00 00

This is with the proper flag activated...
04 00 0B 62 00 00 40 00

With that, you shouldn't be able to break it with bullets, no matter their strength. Only explosives will cause it to shatter. Just note that, since you're using one pane to cover two slots, that it will look as though two panes are broken at the same time. If you're worried about the player not having anywhere to go, because shooters could target them at the stairwells, you could leave one or two panes out. That way, people would have a means of escape and another route up top.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: re: flag Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the flag info, I figured it was one of the flags near that part of the memory but I had no idea which ones or which values to plug in.

Anyways, I'm beginning more and more to dislike having multiple panes destroyed at once, so I think I'm going to resize and redistribute them.

Here's my current plan for the distribution of the 12 panes of glass that I have to work with -

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

At one point in time, I believe that the control room actually did have the clear glass panes, rather than the tinted. The only form of evidence to back that up is the recon photograph in the mission briefing. I'd imagine the change was made to tinted in an attempt to minimize framerate issues. Since we can no longer see through the glass, the room beyond it doesn't need to be loaded in. It's only needed when visual contact is made. The clear glass looks a lot better, in my opinion. Can't say how well it'll work in 3 to 4-Player games, however. Previous tests that I've done have ended in crashing when too many players are in the control room at the same time. That's one of the reasons why I never finished the Control multimap I had been making, which is nearly complete. It's a bloody shame that so many stages experience blackouts and slowdown in multiplayer. Depending on what you've limited the playing space to, it may run fairly well. Keep us posted with any updates you've made.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well I've got 7 panes of glass sized and placed.

I finally finished tweaking one of the 2 angled panes - I had no idea that part would be so difficult - it took many, many tweaks to get it exactly how I wanted it.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice. Looks like you're really paying attention to details. Cool

JustinX32
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looks cool! Smile I can't wait to play that level! Razz

Coons
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow... I really need to start getting into hacking...

You guys are awesome! Pure geniuses, the lot of you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: