ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

My next hacking project - Depot Multiplayer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: My next hacking project - Depot Multiplayer Reply with quote Back to top

The Depot is one level which has kind of been neglected in terms of multiplayer map hacking. I think its a cool level and after scouting out the whole level, I think I've found a good part of it to make into a multiplayer level. I haven't actually started on this one yet but I have some ideas. .....here are some screenshots of the area which I would like to have in play....

The building which I circled in red is basically the central location of the map as it overlooks most of the playable area. I'd like to put glass windows in that building.

As for the remainder of objects, I'm not quite sure yet what to place in here. The only thing for sure is that I want to put some crates into the large open garage area (second screenshot) - If anybody has any ideas, post 'em here.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Depot is absolute crap when it comes to framerate in multiplayer. You might get a decent rate out of 2-Player mode, but 4-Player will crawl it's way to certain death. Even as a mission, you can feel that it's slower than the rest of the stages. I had always thought it'd make an awesome multi map, if it ran better. There's still an idea bouncing around in my head for the Depot in terms of multiplayer. Never really did anything about it, because of the framerate. Though the area I'm thinking of may play well enough after the doors are in place and locked. The less you can see, the better it'll be. Still, the three doored warehouse seems awfully intriguing.

Anyways, keep us posted about this project. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, I guess I never really noticed just how poor the framerate was until I started hacking out coordinates. If you kill a player, while the player is falling to the ground (as the screen is going red), the level actually slows down to about 2 frames per second on my slower computer's emulator.

I have started closing off my area with several large metal crates and that does seem to have helped. I won't know whether or not my area is playable until I get a few doors into place. (which I might need help with - I have yet to successfully get a door to generate, the game keeps freezing up when I try)

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet, I finally figured out the doors. I converted a Stack moving wall into a garage door - changed the sound effect and image flags. Then tweaked the sizing data for the preset and got it working perfectly.

I've also completely blocked off the area with a few strategically placed crates. This has completely resolved the blackout issues, however, I'm still uncertain as to how framerates will hold up on console. Running the game with the crates in place did seem to raise the average framerate by about 2 to 3 FPS and it did reduce the more drastic slowdowns which were occuring without them. Adding the garage door improved framerate by about 0.5 FPS. I'm hoping that adding the other 2 garage doors (probably will lock one of them) and adding the swinger doors (probably will lock the downstairs one as the room blacks out on either side of the door) will help too.

Anyways, here's a few screenshots....

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent job figuring out the doors, BMW. Smile
You're getting quite good at this stuff, you know. It's a shame that blackouts and framerate issues are to blame for so many stages going untouched in multiplayer mode. Here's hoping that your take on the Depot will run well enough to play on console without too much of a fuss.

As far as the bottom doorway is concerned, it'd be best to lock it off, as you've mentioned doing. There's a visibility problem with it. It would appear as though the room models are not linked in that area. They probably didn't bother doing so, because the door between them was locked. Still, kind of silly that they didn't connect them properly.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: re: depot Reply with quote Back to top

Its odd that the room models don't link together in that spot considering that they DO link together through the windows which are on the same wall and connecting the same two rooms. I wonder if it was the other way around - not that they didn't connect the two because the door was locked, but rather that they had problems getting it to connect, so the easy fix was just to lock the door.

I added the other two garage doors - with all the doors closed, framerates from outside the building jump up by about 8 FPS or so. What I find odd though is that depending on where player 2 is standing in the level, if player 1 is standing inside the warehouse, the framerates actually DROP by about 1 FPS each time one of the doors closes, so rates are higher from inside the building with the doors open.

As for overall framerates, with 2 players, numbers are comparable to framerates in the bottling room of the facility, sometimes even slightly better. 3 players surprisingly plays almost as well. 4 players will likely be a no-go as rates suffer massive slowdowns, some far worse than in your facility quad mod, depending on where the players are all standing.

I have a feeling that what is causing problems is the almost infinitely high ceiling outdoors - none of the objects/buildings/etc which are outdoors are as tall as the ceiling and it makes me wonder if this is causing visibility to cause slowdown (objects farther away loading into memory than necessary). I tried applying the nighttime visibility mod but that didn't help at all. I recall seeing somewhere a mod which got rid of the mountains in the dam - was that a visibility mod? And if so, can something like that be applied to the depot?

The only other idea I had was maybe tinkering with the scale of the level. I wonder if modifying that value by say plus or minus 10 percent would improve framerates at all.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: door update Reply with quote Back to top

Door update - Got the train door in place and working. I know that in solo it has a double door, but that would be a lot of coding to get that into place. So I went with a single train door - it opens vertically w/electronic door sound effects. Looks pretty cool when you open and close it.

I will probably lock off the back 2 rooms in the train because of the blackout/visibility issues with those 2 back rooms.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Level's looking impressive, I look forward to it. And hope framerare survives. If you want to add the doors, it's relatively easy to just look at Depot single player, and copy over the necessary parts to move to multi.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Way to go bmw! Looks damn fine. I'm wishing at this point, you or I would get the beta pj64, and test this level for framerate performance. Really impressive screens so far!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The train door does actually look pretty neat like that. If you can save yourself some lines, you might as well do whatever you're able to. Otherwise, it'll be much harder to get your stage under the maximum number of activated lines of code when playing on console with a cheating device alone.

Yeah, The Quad runs pretty poorly on console with 4-Players. Although I have seen two different videos of it being played on an emulator almost flawlessly. I guess the extra boost in processing power can really work wonders for some stages. Here's hoping that the Nintendo Wii will be as kind to GoldenEye as the PC can be.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Where are said videos? I'd like to see some more of gameshark / gameshark multi footage. Not seen much of it.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: updates Reply with quote Back to top

A few updates -

First, I'm completely re-doing the outdoors section to close off a few of the most troublesome areas. I'm close to finished doing that.

Also, I'm working on weapons placement. Looks like I'll probably have 5 weapon sets - 1 of each of the 4 types plus a second top-level set (rocket/mines/etc).

PROBLEM/QUESTION - I'm running into problems placing the ammo boxes - I've had the same problem now both on the train and outdoors - the 2nd ammo box (I've tried two different weapon sets now too in two different locations) won't pick up when you walk over it. If I shoot it and get it to move to certain spots then I can pick it up.

What causes this problem? Its not a coordinate/pointer problem because if I apply the same exact coordinates to the weapon or the other ammo box then it picks up fine.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure that's a room pointer issue, it seems to fit the profile. I had that same issue when I was working on Surface multi ages ago, and if the room pointer was off, you could see the ammo box if you were in the same room, but could not pick it up. Try regrabbing the coord / fixing the room pointer. Not sure why some items will work, maybe their object falls a little differently into the space, and goes into the room referenced by the room pointer.

Also, ammo must be immediately after the weapon, I assume you know that.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: re: pointers Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, after checking again, it was a pointer issue - apparently ammo boxes are a lot more picky about exact pointer data than are type 03 objects - The type 03 objects' x/z coordinates can be tweaked quite a bit without modifying the room pointer value. With the ammo boxes the pointer data has to be exact.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sub, I tried searching for the two videos, but was only able to find one of them. Sadly, it's no longer available. Believe it or not, it was actually recorded by BMW. I can't remember who made the other one, though the name Zerojett keeps coming to mind. I know he had played it on an emulator and commented on how well it ran.

If you've got a faulty room pointer, the item assigned to that preset won't be picked up when it's walked over. I had that problem once before. Usually, the best way to tell whether or not your preset is perfect, is to set a spawn there. Without moving the character who had just spawned there, get another player to try slapping them. Should the person get hit, your preset is good. If they do not react to the slap, then the preset has a bad room pointer. Simply grab some new coordinates and give them a go. Sometimes the game will hand you crap data, but it's usually pretty accurate. It all depends on when you check the savestate or Memory Editor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: