ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

My next hacking project - Depot Multiplayer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: re: videos Reply with quote Back to top

If I remember correctly, the video I posted a while back was only an emulator test of the quad - I was the only one playing but I mapped all 4 players to the same controller so that all 4 players would react to my one controller.

Come Thanksgiving, I'm sure we'll be playing some 3 and 4 player goldeneye on the console (almost has turned into a holiday tradition) - I'll be sure to record it via VHS tape and then I can feed that into my video card and post some videos on here. So maybe in early December or so I'll have some videos of some of the custom-made multi-maps being played.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looking forward to those!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're right. All four of the characters were mapped to the same controls as the first player. They'd all move at the same time and in the same direction. The framerate was close to a steady sixty, even with everyone walking around and fuel barrels blowing up. On console, the frames are jumpy with only a single person moving about. The other video that was made had an actual 4-Player battle. It played out far better than I could have ever expected it to. Too bad I can't locate that one.

Edit: Didn't want to double-post, so thought I'd just edit this one. In an effort to start my own Depot multiplayer map, based in the largest warehouse, I've disabled the visual connections between the rooms involved. After doing so, the framerate went up drastically. It also should be noted that I modified the Depot to use the default multiplayer weather, which bogged down the rate even further. However, once those connections were broken, it ran at a fantastic rate. To get an idea of what the frames were like, go into the stage and head inside the warehouse. Close the door you entered through and move to the back area. While looking toward the wall, spin around in a circle. When your view is aimed in the direction of the doors, it really slows down. With the connections disabled, there is next to no drop in frames. I'm still tinkering with it to get the best result.

BMW, if you'd like, I could try and get rid of some of the unnecessary visual connections in your stage, to boost the rate up as much as we can. Give me a PM and let me know.

Edit #2: Saved myself on a triple-post. I've gotten rid of all the connections that link to areas outside of the main playing space, as well as a few extras that were noticable from certain positions. I'll need to go over those again and identify exactly which one fixes that problem. The framerate in 2-Player mode on console is now an absolute dream. Easily comparable to the made-for-multi stages that Rare created. That's without the three doors, which may even help a bit more. Strangely, there's not much of a change in emulation. The frames remain pretty much the same. Could be because of how PJ64 v1.6 was designed. Some emulators perform certain operations better than others. Still, that's a huge feat console wise. Perhaps this will even work for your Depot map, BMW. Shoot me a PM with the codes you have up until now, then I'll see what can be done about the visual connections. Sound good?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds great! Though I've done everything I know how to do to improve rates, they're still not up to a satisfactory level. Rates within the warehouse are probably borderline, and rates outdoors, while they hold up pretty good most of the time, do occasionally suffer VERY MASSIVE slowdowns depending on where the players are all located. Blocking off much of the outdoors with crates has helped to reduce the massive slowdowns quite a bit, but they do still occur occasionally.

I just sent you a PM with codes and a much more lengthy explanation. Thanks for your help!

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

after this, we need a crazy egypt level... lol it would be great.

i cant wait for this new level.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This sounds amazing you guys. Pushing the boundaries even more!!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, this certainly opens up a bunch of new possibilities for multiplayer maps in the slower, larger levels. By "roping" off a portion of a level and blanking out the connection data to the unused surrouding rooms, framerates might increase just enough to make many of these otherwise untouched levels much more playable.

I'll be curious to see just what Wreck comes up with. I already have some new ideas floating around in my head should this be a success. If the depot can be made playable, ANY level can!

The Extremist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
If the depot can be made playable, ANY level can!

C'mon Aztec hanger! Cool

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've found a way to improve the framerate within the current gaming area, but part of it would need blocking. BMW and I are discussing over PM's the best course of action to take. Both he and I have ideas, which will need further testing. Hopefully, whatever he decides to go with, will have a strong framerate. I'll continue to help out where I can. At the rate he is going, he won't need my assistance for much longer.

Also, I did come up with a fix for the bottom doorway in the trainstation. There was a connection between the two rooms, but only big enough to cover the windows. It isn't exactly the 'correct' way to do it, though it does do the job it is intended to. You'll probably see the code included in BMW's Depot multimap, should he choose to use it. If not, I'll be sure to post it.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, me and Wreck both independently reached the same exact conclusion about how to structure the outdoors section, so I pretty much know what I'm going to do with it now.

I've worked out the room connection eliminations and Wreck is absolutely correct - mucho improvemento in the el framerato. Especially in the large warehouse. And the massive slowdowns which I was suffering from before outdoors are now virtually non-existent.

Once again, much thanks to Wreck for these visibility hacks, these will have application in future multi maps.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote Back to top

UPDATE - the blackouts in the back of the train always bugged me, so I fixed them.......

I might also fix the left black panel by placing a train door in its place as a type 0003 object - the train door from the inside of the train looks almost identical to the train wall.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Always bugged me as well. We're going to be able to battle in there right? With doors I assume.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: re: train Reply with quote Back to top

There will be one main train door (rather than the double door combo, to preserve available lines of code)

And I finally finished completely fixing the train. So now the far back room is fully visible, the second to back room is fully visible, and the black panel in the second to back room has now been replaced with a interior train door image which looks exactly like a wall.

The first shot is looking towards the back few rooms (the fake wall is on the left) and the second shot is standing in the far back room looking forward (the fake will now be on your right)

As for battle in the train, its possible to score a kill with rockets on somebody standing in the train from many different places in the level. The more I walk around the level, the more I like it and the numerous "hiding" places you have where you can shoot people standing in various locations.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fantastic job correcting those visual room connections. Quite smart using ones you'd gotten rid of from the stage previously to reduce slowdown, then modify them to fix the inside of the train. Judging by those screenshots, you'd never have known that there was even a problem to begin with. Big thumbs up. Wink

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pending some final testing, the level is basically done. Here is a sneak peek.......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: