ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

What levels or sections should be made into multiplayer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: What levels or sections should be made into multiplayer? Reply with quote Back to top

Just a dream another dream thread. Okay, I'm not the guy to create any of this, so I'm not trying to con anyone. It's more just about thinking of the single player levels, and then thinking what particular sections would be insane multiplayer maps. Perfomance and glitches aside, what do you think?

Somebody mentioned Aztec. Very cool idea, with cutting at the Jaws room and including the bay area. Nice ledge section which is quite unique. It has a couple different routes around the stone walls/Jaws room. Interesting.

Basically any section of the Frigate would rock.

Scotty had a wicked idea of The Dish and using that building on surface. It has some cool routes and is big enough for some interesting battles.

Here's one. How about blocking the side portion of Statue Park? It seemed that the worst performance was when you went into the back section of that level, between the fences. So many objects. I wonder how it might perform with blocking it off completely.

Dam, with the middle section with the bunker and tower? It's wide open but enlarged canisters or big vehicles would make for an interesting scenario.

Okay, there is some brain storming. Even the smallest section of a single player level would make such a cool multiplayer level. I mean, look at Facility. Backzone, Quad, Bottling Room, Chemical Lab! I could even see one more variation of the level!!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: re: next projects Reply with quote Back to top

After wandering around the Aztec, I have some ideas for a multiplayer level. Once I finish the depot that'll probably be my next project. But that might be a little while yet, I still have quite a bit of work to do on the depot, and of course, its football season Smile

I've also had some ideas for the frigate but that would be a little more work. The facility's setup file would actually work the best because the first 9 doors in the setup are the facility doors and those are easy to mod into the type of doors which are found on the frigate. The objects list could be terminated at whatever the final door used would be and the presets lists would have to both be terminated somewhere in the middle. I had originally tried to write my control room mod using the facility's setup - Wreck got it to load for me, but the load time was nearly 80 seconds from the time you start the level to the time you spawn. I think that terminating both preset lists early in the list would fix that problem.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GE Master may remember that I had begun work on a Frigate Engine Room multiplayer stage. Using the MP Facility for the setup, it took far too long to start up. It was to consist of the engine room, as well as the hallway area leading into it. The stairs would've been blocked off with shutters, keeping players from venturing to the upper floors. It's still something that I may do one day, but not just yet.

The Aztec is a touchy stage, experiencing an onslaught of blackouts within even the smallest of areas. MultiX condensed the map down to only the first two sections in his Sumerian mod and it still suffered from occasional blackouts. You'd have to be very cautious about what locations to use when modifying this one.

Another idea I have is a map based within the Cargo Hold in Control. The framerate is a little poor, but perhaps that could be lessened. Blackouts do occur, though that was when testing the full Control center. I can't say whether or not this would be good enough to play on console.

By the way, this is an excellent topic. Very Happy

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can't that load time be corrected by fixing a lot of the room pointers? I seem to remember the correction of them by the game caused that problem. So if you get rid of the unused presets or something or give them valid coords/pointers should speed it up?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could set all of the objects and spawns to new presets, ranging from "000" and up. Once you're finished with everything you need, kill the list off at the first unused preset. The same would be possible for the "2710" advanced type, used for doors and glass. Assign what you need to the start of them, then cancel out the rest. It should drastically reduce the time it takes to load.

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

i think that the bottom of the silo would be awesome. and by bottom, i mean the impossible area where the missle bottoms are. small room, big battles. lots of metal crates. what do you think?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

re: Frigate - my idea was actually the exact opposite of Wreck's (everything upstairs and outside w/downstairs closed off) so we might end up with two cool frigate stages some day.

I actually liked some of MultiplayerX's ideas in the Frigate, it just needs a little polished and needs weapon sets!

re: facility setup - That was pretty much what I was thinking - reassigning presets then terminating the rest - what sucks is that the presets aren't in chronological order like the multi-only maps (I'm guessing because the presets were originally designed for the solo facility?)

The Extremist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

About Aztec. I was thinking only the hangar and bay area.

Nothing else. Nice and compact. Cool

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There were only two really nasty rooms in frigate - the hangar and the engine room. Not enough memory dedicated to load the thing in with some of the other complex rooms. Heck, I've had half a mind to redirect the whole bloodly room thing to unused memory and just load the entire stage at once.

For a while I was working on just the upper deck of the frigate, with a door closing off the lower deck. Then I got lazy and started doing about a million other things.

At any rate, it should be remarkably easy for any old schmuck to create a few stages in record time. Well, soon at least.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't the issue that the rooms are loaded in only when they're called upon? The slowdown in framerate partly comes from the decompression of models being imported from the ROM, correct? So, as you said, if you could load them all in as the stage is beginning, would that take away from these blackouts we've been experiencing? Could that also help with the framerate in anyway? I can definitely see this as a good possibility for some of the smaller maps, but the larger ones would require a greater amount of unused memory. Still, this sounds like an idea worth investing some time in.

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hmm.... how about... the exhaust chamber in the aztec... along with the vents. no hanger, just that small area. could make it look like ruins, by putting some plants and stuff, and it could be veeery fun. i mite even try it maybe.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Something tells me that Zerojett has a thing for confined spaces. Razz
The two biggest things you need to look for when making a multiplayer map, is how much room you have to utilize.

If you're in a small area, it's very easy to perform successive kills on your opponents simply because they'll respawn only feet away from you, or within firing range. Basically, in a 2-Player match, the first person to die is going to lose. Unless, of course, you decide to be honourable about it and allow them to spawn in and grab a weapon, which by then you'd already have your shot lined up and your finger on the trigger.

You also need to watch out for camping spots. Allowing more than one entrance into each location will greatly reduce the possibility that an opponent will remain in a position and wait until someone turns the corner and steps into their crosshairs. Even a window gives players a better chance of surviving that trap. Not that camping is as big of an issue in GoldenEye as compared to online FPS titles that have up to ten or more people participating in the same battle. However, there are still some cheap suckers out there. It's better to thwart them now, than complain about them later. Wink

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

-or unless some hacker was mean and hooked in some default weapons to spawn with. Like plastique.

BTW, non-MP equipment can be used if any only if you spawn with it out already.

I'm talking I can probably free up 2-3 megabytes of space. Most, if not all of the stage can be stuck in memory at the beginning. This is a very PD-ish thing to do. It *must* decompress everything into memory or else none of the offset values work!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: different setups Reply with quote Back to top

I played around a little bit with trying to use the facility's setup file to load the control room (with the bare code that Wreck sent me a while back).

The advanced presets were terminated completely and the objects list was terminated completely. The change I made was I changed the basic preset list pointer (075D18 address) to point to the data contained at preset 0130 instead of preset 0000. Then the numbering of presets begins at 0 again (0130=0000, 0131=0001, etc). The list ends at 0136 so there were only 7 presets loaded. So I assigned the respawn points in this range and the game did successfully spawn the players, but the load time was still the same, well over a minute. If the game is only loading 7 basic presets, no objects, and no advanced presets, what is still holding things up?

Here's the code if anybody's curious......
Level load plus intro
8002A8F7 0017
81037542 593C
8102A932 0000
81063BF0 8009
81063BF2 E360
D102B522 0002
81063BF2 3860
D102B522 0003
81063BF2 0DE0
D102B522 0004
81063BF0 8008

kill advanced presets
81075D1C 801E
81075D1E 1634

redirect basic presets to 0130
81075D18 801D
81075D1A F0F8

terminate objects
801E167B 0030

map all spawns to presets 4 and 5 (previously 134/135)
811E493A 0004
811E4946 0005
811E4952 0004
811E495E 0005
811E496A 0004
811E4976 0005
811E4982 0004
811E498E 0005

coordinate changes for 4 and 5 (134/135)
811DF1A8 C570
811DF1B0 C48E
811DF1D0 801B
811DF1D2 9464
811DF1D4 C506
811DF1DC 4489
811DF1FC 801B
811DF1FE 9C2C

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: re: maps Reply with quote Back to top

And I do have a concept for another control room map. In principle its kinda similar to The Quad. If my idea for the Aztec is not possible, this will likely be my next map after the depot is done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: