ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Aztec is coming next (NOW FINISHED)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Aztec is coming next (NOW FINISHED) Reply with quote Back to top

December 16, 2006 update - see the last page of this thread.

Last edited by bmw on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Tossing in explosives would be fun, I can see someone running through and wham being nailed from a well-placed grenade.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Might it be possible to adjust the clipping so you can walk on top of the exhaust bay?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If that were possible - It'd be sweet to use a glass pane and put a glass ceiling over the entire bay. If all that were possible, would your character walk across it? And if the glass were shattered while standing on top of it, would you fall in?

EDIT - I added some gernades to my test map - they fly beautifully in and out of the bay Smile

Also, once I apply the proper room connection kills, the framerates run flawlessly - they maintain between 58 and 60 FPS in 90 percent of the stage, only fall to about 54 in the one front room (where all the screens/monitors are in the solo mission) which will likely be unnoticable on the console.

This is gonna be a SWEET map!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: check this out Reply with quote Back to top

Check this out!

This took me a while to figure out - I tracked down the room pointers for room 66 (the Exhaust bay plus the surrounding lower level) and after testing them 1 at a time, I figured out the proper room pointer needed to spawn somebody on the exhaust bay upper level with the proper clipping data. All the clipping data works fine (walls, etc) - And all the visibilities are correct for the person standing on the exhaust bay platform. You cannot get off the platform though.

I shaded in with red the traversable area for the person standing on the platform. What I will probably do is have one respawn point on the bay and have a weapon set on the bay as well. That person will have a central view over most of the level.

This is a split-screen screenshot of both players looking at each other....

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just about the glass on the floor. Perfect Dark? Sheesh can't remember the name of the level, but it was one of our favorites. Breaking glass would be just a little more than swank and very unique to a GE multi map.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glass floor? I think that PD level is "The Grid".

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Very nice, BMW.
You'll have to send me that code to check out for myself. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That walkable glass was a special object type in PD, which used a sort of clipping offset like the tank does in GE. Needless to say though, the entire clipping engine is dramatically different.

You can't walk on glass in GE. You can force glass so player's can't collide with it.
Making the entire wall laddered is easily do-able. It will take some code space though, dependant entirely on how many tiles are actually there. The stuff that is there is easy - that's one code each tile - but it takes 10 minimum to make a tile. I'm sure there's a quad somewhere that can be stolen though, and that will reduce the total code a tad.

I'm probably not going to get to it this week though, since there's this terrifyingly huge thing I'm still swamped with - might want to check rarewitchproject.com right about now.

To make things much, much faster and easier, send me (PM or email - probably PM is safer):
1) One or more tiles up on that thing (first four bytes at the room pointer address will do. That defines the tile and room)
2) Some idea of what isn't in the stage so I can steal some tiles.
If the start area isn't used (sounds like it at least) that would be perfect.
3) Maybe a tile at floor level. Don't really need it, but it would save approximately 2 1/2 minutes of dumping a savestate.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's a bummer to hear you can't walk on glass. I began to wonder if that was the case when I was playing around with crates - I placed one at the bottom of the ladder and then tried to fall onto the top of it - didn't work, I fell right through it and then got stuck in it.

Anyways, I think I see where you're going with this - stealing tiles from the front area where you would fall into the deep pit?

It may be a few days but I'll send you all the info you need. I have already mapped out all the rooms by room number and marked off the playing area, I can send you that too. I'll also map out as best I can each tile on the bay (there's not really that many of them up there, shouldn't take too long to do)

Now I have to figure out exactly where I want people to be able to walk off of this thing - either into the bay, off of the front side into the large room, or both? Ultimately what I'd like probably is to have the front wall work like a ladder and have the inner area work as a drop-off into the bay. That way the area is fully traversable.

Having to use a large number of codes really isn't going to be a big deal with this particular map because this map won't include many code-hungry objects like glass panes or doors.

The Extremist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd recommend adding a ladder to the front of the exhaust bay platform, and allowing people to drop back off, but not allowing dropping into the bay. It could make for some interesting tactics.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: code Reply with quote Back to top

That would certainly be less code-consuming than allowing dropping into the bay.

Should there still be a glass ceiling? That can be done easily (I've already gotten it to work and with propper clipping for gernades to land on top of it) but I don't know if that would actually detract from the level if you can't walk on it.

But I LOVE glass, so I'll probably end up putting it in. If I have enough available code, I might even find some other uses for glass panes.

GE MASTER
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I'll add a comment, although I'm a bit confused when you guys are talking about ladders etc. My main comment is this, whether relevant or not, I'm not sure.

There was a code that allowed players to fall down the temple hole. The lame thing is, when you fall down in that situation or in like the caves in Jungle, a player disappears, then reappears on the bottom. In other words you can't shoot them, and basically seems more like a glitch than a nice gameplay feature. I just wasn't a big fan of disappearing opponents. There you have it!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That is an interesting issue that I never noticed before - when a player is climbing the really tall ladder in the Aztec, to the other player, it appears as though the player climbing stays in one place til he reaches the top or bottm then suddenly teleports to that spot. The character never disappears, but does suddenly teleport.

That's kind of unfortunate because I'm willing to bet there's no fix for it. Might be part of the reason rare didn't incorporate any ladder levels as multiplayer levels.

The effect this has it makes it really dangerous to climb the ladder - you essentially stay in one place (as far as the other players can see) until you reach the top.

re: ladder wall - the idea was to make the wall you see circled into a scale-able wall (would behave like a ladder)

The Extremist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
re: ladder wall - the idea was to make the wall you see circled into a scale-able wall (would behave like a ladder)

I'd prefer 2 ladders placed so they divide the bay wall into thirds.

I'm undecided on the glass issue. It's up to you.

About the ladder teleport glitch. I noticed that once when I was playing Jungle (SP). I climbed the tall ladder, then died halfway up. In the death replay, Bond was bouncing up and down the ladder like crazy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: