ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye Tournament Rules?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Goldeneye Tournament Rules? Reply with quote Back to top

Hello people.

I was wondering if there is an official or standard set of rules for Goldeneye tournaments.
I think their used to be some on Goldeneyeforever, or maybe I'm just blind.
Anyway I quicly made up what I think was fair last night.
Part of my ideas came from Smash Bros Tournaments, with counter-picking and everything.

Goldeneye 1 vs 1 Tournament rules that Bob has made up

Best of 3 matches.

First to 5 points.
Standard Health.
Auto Aim On/Off (?)

First match both players agree on a level and weapon set.
If both players don't want the same level then random level is picked.
If both players don't want the same weapon set than Player 1 or a judge mashes
Z for 10 seconds or so to get randon weapons.

Loser of first match choses the Level and weapon set for game 2.

If it goes into a 3rd match, loser of match 2 picks the level and weapon set.

Finals is first to 10.

Do you think that makes sense?
Any changes that you can think of?
Is there a better system?

Thanks. Cool

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Maxout

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Only one little thing...

I might take auto-aim off as tournaments are more geared towards skill, but an auto-aim could be a handicap to really good players.

Try to experiment even with sight off, it hurts the sniper rifle and AR a little, but it is really up to you.

There is a 'preference' topic of some sort around here, and that might give you ideas. Wink

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dont forget the spawn kills... those suck alot...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maxout

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It depends how many people are and if there is a losers bracet. Goldeneye is more closer and casual I guess so you could make your own rules and have more fun.

It could get tricky if there is ten of you, and all of you wanted to play. Go back to my 'performance' topic in this forum for more ideas on how points should be tallied. Although there is a good chance of ties there.

D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunatley I don't think I'd be hosting a proper tournament anytime soon.
No one will play me for more than a couple of games except for one of my friends.
They get killed so they give up.
Hopefully at the major Smash tournament I am going to early next year, I will be able to whop out a 64 and Goldeneye and have some sort of tourny there.

As to actual rules...

If Auto-Aim is a handicap to skilled players that is a good thing.

What do you mean by spawn kills?
Heading to their spawn point, so you can attack them before they get a good gun is the way to go.
If you know the order of the spawn points then, you deserve to be able to use this to your advantage.

More thoughts?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's where people think differently.
Some feel that if they are able to remember the exact order of respawns in a multiplayer stage, they should be allowed to use that to their advantage and capitalize on it. Others do not share this same viewpoint. They believe that respawns should have been chosen randomly, not one-by-one from a list. Knowing where your opponent is going to popup next isn't challenging. Characters will only skip a spawn location if someone is within too close of proximity to their next scheduled position. Personally, I'd rather wait until they are armed and ready to do battle. Jumping a freshly spawned, unarmed player, is certainly no fun for anybody.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The solution to people killing unarmed people is simple - automatic disqualification if you get the "Most Dishonorable" award at the end of the game.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have the opposite feeling. Those spawn kills are valid in my opinion. A great player will know exactly the order of spawns (and perhaps backup spawns if a player is nearby, if that is indeed not random as well, not sure - I'm not a great player btw). It's the unarmed person's job to try and get the hell out of there, and if it means they need to die three times in a row, just the penalty for dying to a better player. We never have a mercy rule, we are all dishonerable and screen lookers hehe. Part of the game. We do play no radar though, so you need to be a great player, radar is meaningly anyway at that point due to screenlooking. For reference, my friend is quite good and crushes me all the time. Actually we almost exclusively play basement license to kill, and we used to play 2 on 2 facility bathroom golden gun (defend the bathroom!).

D.J Cat
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
The solution to people killing unarmed people is simple - automatic disqualification if you get the "Most Dishonorable" award at the end of the game.

Nuh.

Cause you can get Most Dishonarable for other things as well.

As well as I know the respawn points and levels and can run with the fast running trick, I have never yet got the oppurtunity to aim up the exact spot (I don't really know many anyway...) where people respawn and shoot as they appear.
They would require insane skill and timing.
And chances are you would only get to do it once.

Also, the majority of spawn points are near a gun.
The majority of guns won't kill in one hit (Golden Gun, explosives are the obvious exceptions) so you have all the time in the world if you are fast (which you should be if you are going to be any good) to get a gun and be equal, or at least be armed with a lesser gun.

" It's the unarmed person's job to try and get the hell out of there, and if it means they need to die three times in a row, just the penalty for dying to a better player"

I agree with that.

Luther
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would use a different method for selecting levels. I would have player one pick his weapon set and floor for the first match, and let Player 2 pick for the second, and the tie-breaker be random or judge picked.

Maxout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can always have people take turns doing preferences. One player would allow auto-aim and no respawn kills while another would want vice-versa.

It will be up to the individual. So one person unless it is a fair judge shouldn't do it. Or you can have them write out their preferences each game ahead of time.

Basically what luther said.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: