ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

First Mission project - Library
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: re: library Reply with quote Back to top

The Extremist wrote:
bmw wrote:
and why I refuse to upgrade from Windows 2000.

Me too. I hate XP. Razz

Ha. You will all hate Vista then.... XP rules, 98 sucks... no opinion on 2000.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Small update - after some assistance from SubDrag and Wreck, I finally have successfully entered some data into the editor and managed to get my stage to load with a few objects.

I must say, its wild to see the library in full-screen mode! It feels so much bigger this way.

I plan on next adding everything I've accomplished so far through gameshark codes to my level and then using the editor to create a bunch of new objects at once and then use gameshark codes to custom place them, then edit the preset data in the editor, and so forth.

I'll keep you all updated.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's nice to see that the GoldenEditor is now being used, hehe.
Keep doing it the way you are, then update your setup file with whatever new information becomes available. I certainly won't try to tell you how to do your stage, because you need to feel comfortable and confident in how it's done. Besides, I'd say you're doing a fantastic job as it is. Wink

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The main advantage the editor does have as far as this portion of the level creation is the ability to duplicate objects with the click of a button - saves a lot of time not having to track down ammo boxes in the multiplayer setup file and convert them over - now all I have to do is modify the preset/sizing data with gameshark codes.

Quick question - when I'm entering basic presets into the editor, can I leave the Y-coord value as all zeros?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, I'm not sure.
I know that the game can automatically reposition objects to rest on the floor when using the basic presets, but whether or not you can leave it blank, I haven't tested. There are Y Coordinates for the items we've moved around in our custom multiplayer maps, since we're simply modifying other setup files. It's possible that there needs to be valid data, though not perfect. You could give it a shot and see what happens.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Matters on the object.

Any object "forced to ground" or naturally forced to ground - such as ammo boxes, guns, etc. you dont' really need to state it. Some like autoguns and cameras are always set to a fixed position. Also, virtually any standard object set at a 2xxx preset will be absolute unless told otherwise.

The only time you need to defintely give elevation is if there is something overhead. If the value is too high or too low it will autocorrect into a different elevation. It it is *way* off it could wind up in another room!

Guess I should have been clearer on the point in the help.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For reference, I think Duplicate was Wreck's idea, and was not in the original version. And it is so helpful, I use it myself all the time as well!

Since you're using an editor, there's no harm in including a Y coord (no space taken), I guess could compress slightly better if it's a 0, but in any case force it to the ground and you don't need a Y coord as far as I know.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag and I are both still brainstorming over ideas for a future update to the GoldenEditor. Zoinkity is also hard at work writing additional articles to the Help section. There's a few things we've thought of to get people started off easier, moving them a long a little faster. It is complicated, but we'd like to try and make things simpler for those who become frustrated quickly.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: moving along Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, once you get the hang of things, the editor becomes quite simple to use.

I'm moving along rather nicely, I'm nearly finished entering all the data from my original gameshark code compliation, and so far I haven't run into an problems - the objects are placing and sizing exactly how they did on my multiplayer gameshark version.

and btw - the doors are just awesome - they will certainly make a nice addition to the level, I have sized them and placed them so precisely that they look just like that was how the level was originally created by rare. I've managed to get them fully functioning properly now.

I guess what I can do from time to time is post my uncompressed .bin file so that anybody out there who is proficient with patching their rom can take a sneak peek at my progress.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That picture of the doors in library did look awesome from before! According to Rare it was originally a solo level that ran too slow...maybe they're lying, how does yours run? Well, still no guards or anything.

The editor is easy to use for the Goldeneye pros such as yourself, Wreck, Zoinkity, and me. But for someone who's never seen anything like it before, I could see being overwhelmed (what's a preset? 00/27 type? how do I put an object somewhere? what are all these objects, 03, 04, 05, how do I know which to use!?).

So along with Wreck's idea I was thinking of making another new page, called like a "Simple Add". It will Grab a preset from PJ64, and then Add an object to that preset. Another would grab a preset, add a guard, give him a weapon, and set him to an action block, then finally add a path activation sequence, health, armor, etc. It should help the new users fairly easily. And it would also be nice to have these macros for experienced users.

The features would be:
Add Plane
Add Car on Path
Add Crate
Add Guard
Add Path Guard

Am interested in suggestions.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've abandoned using gameshark codes altogether now that I'm getting the hang of the editor - I can actually make changes and test them fairly quickly.

BUT - a suggestion that would help save lots of time - a "quick save" feature - one that would do all the following steps with the click of a menu option or shortcut key:

1) File - Save Uncompressed (save changes to whatever file is already open)
2) Tools - Convert Rom - write rom (from whatever .bin file was most recently used, from whatever goldeneye rom was most recently used, and to whatever goldeneye rom was most recently written to)

This would be great because I find myself going through the exact set of steps every time I tweak anything.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hah, we've finally converted you! I was wondering why you were doing so much manually in codes.

Those are very good suggestions. You can press CNTL-S if you are in the main window to save, and it pops up the box. The convert ROM though is a modal window, so it can be a lot of clicks, I can definitely see that. I will think about how to make that happen. Hmm, it's a little tricky, but I'll think up some clever way to do it. I agree with you; just bear in mind that that convert window in itself is a huge savings of time from doing a lot manually in the ROM Smile Perhaps the preferences could hold the location of a the GE ROM, and then you could choose the level, and then every time you press F5, it outputs the currently loaded setup to that spot in ROM. Something like that. The main hold up is I need to get back the RWP server password, which holds the backup source.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: new rooms Reply with quote Back to top

This is kind of hard to get good screenshots of due to the fairly narrow hallway and difficulty in grabbing a shot from a distance, but I've been working on now for a while creating entire new rooms by using putting new walls and doors into the level.

Here is what I've accomplished so far - the slightly lighter-colored walls are the walls that were not there before....

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome and crazy at the same time. Are they doors or 03 objects? If they're doors, do they say door locked I guess if you try to open it? Don't think there's a way to disable that for type 01.

This is such a cool idea for the level! Will be a very new experience.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did use doors - but I set all the programming values to zero (time open, acceleration, speed, etc) - that way the door effectively does absolutely nothing when you try to open it.

Wreck suggested that I use type 03 instead to save memory, but I ran into major problems figuring out the sizing data (again, because of the 90-degree rotation issue) - when you rotate an object by 90 degrees, figuring out the sizing data becomes a royal pain. I gave up on it after about 2 hours of tinkering and just went to a door type.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: