ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

First Mission project - Library
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: First Mission project - Library Reply with quote Back to top

FIRST POST in this thread will now be updated to include screenshots of COMPLETED rooms.

11/19/06

11/16/06

Last edited by bmw on Mon May 14, 2007 10:26 pm; edited 5 times in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One thing you will need to add is sets of path presets, so it doesn't lag to hell when guards move around. We can help work on it when we come to it, just don't worry about it now.

I am excited for the new mission!!

technoPP7
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yo dude in a recene topic I was already working on one but it in the hands of bmw dude you are going to ripp that up!!!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How is your project coming anyways?

I'm sure there's room in this world for 2 library missions Smile

btw - I'll be posting a concept map soon of the top floor

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: concept map Reply with quote Back to top

Ok here are the maps.

The first is the original multiplayer map minus weapons.

The second is my concept of what I want the upstairs to look like. The red lines mark grey facility-type swinger doors. The black lines are walls. The blue lines represent glass.

You'll see I've created a number of rooms. The walls will be created by using the vertical moving walls as standard type 3 objects. Their texture is the same as a wall except its a little lighter in color.

I'd like to the use grates as part of the mission - either blocking off parts of the basement or parts of the upstairs so that areas on the other side of the grate are only accessible through the grate - maybe planting an object onto an object through the grating.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's certainly more complicated than the Library mission I had been thinking of making one day. Strangely enough, I was messing around with the Flag Tag Token in the Archives multiplayer a few days ago, modifying it into the lighter version of secret passage slider door that's used to hide the extra hallways. I thought that, by making it an invincible Standard Object, I could create new walls to block off areas. As they say, great minds. Wink

The guard lag that SubDrag is referring to, is what put my Caves mission off for such a long time. There are different sets of presets needed within the setup file to link all of the rooms together, so that characters know where to go in different situations. Without them, they slowdown the games processing rate as they attempt to perfom some actions. There are easier ways around this, though not perfect. By adding in a few paths, it does help matters. But without a decently made system of linking presets, the guards will lag.

Anyways, I really like where you're going with this and hope to see what comes of it. If you need any help, feel free to ask either SubDrag or myself. Be sure to check over the Help files that came with the GoldenEditor.

As for a limit on Objects, take a look at the UsetupjunZ.bin file. I hardly doubt you'll surpass that amount. Like Zoinkity once said, you'd need serious psychiatric help if you'd require more space than that. Hehe. Laughing

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Last edited by Wreck on Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: re: library Reply with quote Back to top

I'm quickly learning that by far the biggest hassle is perfectly sizing and placing the doors.

The method I settled on was loading the 2-player version of the library into the emulator and hacking out the presets and simply moving the moving walls to the presets and then tweaking. The y-coord and height coord are already perfect so that makes things a little easier. Then I located the door thickness values out of the facility's doors. Once I get a group of 8 doors into place via gameshark codes, then I'll extract all the preset info from the savestate and enter it into the new software. Then move on to another room.

Its nice not having to worry about code limits - this allows me to modify the 5th through 8th bytes of the coord value for even more precise fine-tuning.

You can see the precision with which I was able to place and size a set of doors. So far I have 2 sets sized and placed

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The limited number of activated codes that a GameShark has to offer is nowhere near enough to achieve perfection for the many things a hacker wants to do with it. With this GoldenEditor, you don't need to worry about that anymore. However, it can only be played on console by uploading from your PC. Those who do not own a good GameShark are not capable of doing that. They can try out the stages on their computers through means of emulation, though. Again, not all of us are fortunate enough to keep the framerate above even thirty. That's why the old fashioned way will still live on, in one form or another.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We never really "solved" the problem with doors or safes. I always wanted to make safes in levels, but it's difficult to align the frame and the door. Tried to see if safes and doors had offsets that were the same, so could automatically calculate the safe door, but it didn't seem to work that way. Maybe look into again. But as long as you stick to 00 presets, or 00 presets raised, the editor is golden. That's why making bare-bones leaves doors in, and glass. To be fair, doors are only an issue in the multi levels converted to solo, so if you do it once, that's good enough.

My suggestion is to make a preset in the doorway, then find it in the RAM during game-play, and play with its coords and size. Then a matter of putting into editor. I think that's what you're doing.

Hmm, I wonder if we could determine a gunshot location or something, then you could shoot a few places, subtract the locations (to get min/max), or something crazy like that.

Awesome with the door there, I'm really looking forward to the mission!!! Let us know if there is anything you need help with, and when we get to path presets we'll help make a table. Also, as you go along in editor, I am very interested with your feedback on usability, ease of use, etc.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: re: library Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
My suggestion is to make a preset in the doorway, then find it in the RAM during game-play, and play with its coords and size. Then a matter of putting into editor. I think that's what you're doing.

Yep, thats exactly how I'm doing it. Same method for placing other objects since I'm trying to be as precise as possible. The main upstairs room surrounded by the balcony will have 9 bookshelves in it (3 rows, each a row of 3) and to get them centered and aligned, it takes precise data. Kind of tedius work but should be worth it in the end once I get the structural/object portion done.

I'll have some more screenshots of progress to post soon.

EDIT - and here's a screenshot now. These bookcases were much more of a pain than I bargained for because you'll see they're not perfectly parallel to the floor tiles (which I find interesting) - either the floor tiles aren't perfectly square with the level or the book cases aren't. At any rate, it made depth much more difficult to tweak.

There will be one more row of book cases splitting the 2 you see. Then I'll get around to the glass wall around the balcony and the desk/chair combos along the wall.

I have enough stuff to work with in the multi map so far that I can create an entire room at a time before I actually stick anything into the editor. It'll be easier that way because one savestate will have the necessary data for all the objects in an entire room. I'll let you guys know once I get into actually entering data into the editor.

technoPP7
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=506

Theres the link t0 my one

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: re: library Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've confirmed it - the whole level is not quite parallel to the coordinate system. If it were perfectly parallel, objects parallel to the z-coord would have an angle of BF80 0000. Instead they have an angle BF7F F6C2.

The x-coord system, however, is perfectly parallel.

Normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but when lining up glass panes to be perfectly parallel to the balcony, they do need to be slightly angled.

It also creates more of a hassle when you're trying to line up objects with each other across an entire room - you can't simply use the same z-coords you found from the first object. Across the bounds of an entire room, the value changes by about 0002 0000. (if a coord at one end was 4200 0000, it would have to be 4202 000 at the other end of the room to line up perfectly).

Anyways, here's another screenshot update. This should give you a rough idea of what I have in mind for the overall look of this level. The glass will surround the whole room and there will be various desk/chair combos scattered throughout the level. Some will have computer/keyboard combos on them.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is shaping up incredibley well. I'm completely floored at the rate in which you've become accustomed to GoldenEye. From the humble beginnings of dissecting the Facility Backzone v2.0 for a customized Bottling Room multiplayer map, to using the GoldenEditor to totally reimagine the Library as a mission. Your progress is mindblowing. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this ends up. Stickied. Smile

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: re: hacking Reply with quote Back to top

When you stop and think about it, there's not really all that much knowledge that is required to hack goldeneye. Repetition and good memory is really the best tool for learning because many of the steps involved in creating a level are very repetitive. And once you've done 3 or 4 complete maps you start to memorize a lot of stuff which makes future levels that much easier to work on. Plus with each level I picked up a few new tricks and a little better understanding of how different things work.

Oh, and good math skills are a definite plus Smile - the hex system still messes me up once in a while - by far what gives me the biggest amount of grief is when I'm calculating addresses in my head - so many times when I add 2 to an address that ends in 8 (lets say xxxxxx48) I make a mistake and put xxxxxx50 instead of 4A. Then it takes me 10-15 minutes to figure out why my objects aren't working right. Same goes for when you roll over from an 0Fxxx to a 10xxx ---, those mess me up sometimes too.

And now that this thread is a sticky, I guess I'm that much more obligated to actually finish this thing someday and not just give up on it at some point Exclamation

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
And now that this thread is a sticky, I guess I'm that much more obligated to actually finish this thing someday and not just give up on it at some point Exclamation

Hehe, spoken like a true GoldenEye hacker. Razz
I should really get back to the Caves, but I can't seem to get myself to resume working on it. Maybe if my computer didn't crash so often when using PJ64 to test things, I'd be more inclined to continue with it. Uploading to console messes up my comms port from time to time, forcing me to restart my PC. Even though I have the means, it's as though I'm being laughed at from the cosmos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: