ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Investigation Night Vision...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Investigation Night Vision... Reply with quote Back to top

Just something I had noticed. In 'dataDyne Research - Investigation', one of your objectives is to collect three experimental items from the labs. One of those is a K7 Avenger. It's currently being tested for accuracy as a scientist makes notes regarding the weapons' performance. Another is a Shield Tech item. It is incomplete and doesn't function. The last thing is the Night Vision goggles encased in glass, which you'll use later on in the next mission. Funny thing is, the image is actually that of the IR Scanner. Though this may seem like a simple little mistake, it leads me to believe that it was once really an IR Scanner. The only evidence I have to back that up is a screenshot of the Hovercopter from 'dataDyne Central - Extraction' seen through the scanner...

http://www.detstar.com

I had thought that there'd be a check at the beginning of the Extraction mission to see if Joanna had collected the Night Vision from Investigation, then the game would decide whether or not to add it to your inventory. After completing the level without procuring the item, she still managed to have it anyway. Rare probably intended on doing this, but later thought it'd be too difficult for those gamers who did not collect the Night Vision to make their way through the darkness that is the opening of Extraction. With that in mind, they scrapped the idea. Afterall, it's only necessary that you acquire the goggles on Perfect Agent mode.

Edit: Playing through the first part of Extraction on Special Agent mode without using the Night Vision was ridiculously difficult. You can't see anything when you aren't shooting. The only thing you can rely on is the red indicator that appears when you're aiming at an enemy. You could sit tight and wait for the lights to come back on, but that takes a while. They had me at a dangerously low amount of health when I made it through both times. I don't know what is worse, not being able to see your opponents or not being able see where you're going. There's the reason why they started you out with the goggles regardless of what you did in Investigation.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Night Vision isn't assigned to the players through the Intro Block, but through the Action Block. Normally, when you begin a mission with a special gadget in your inventory, it's stored in the Intro Block. In the case of Perfect Dark, not all difficulty settings require you to have that item. For these instances, the items are set in the Object list. Each of them are tagged for use in an Action Block. As the stage loads, it determines whether or not you're playing the correct difficulty setting. If you are, the object is reassigned to your inventory. Cooperative mode demanded that two of each gadget needed to be made. The first is given to Player One, with the second going to Player Two. But in 'dataDyne Central - Extraction', the Night Vision is given to you regardless of difficulty. This means that Rare did plan on making it an EEPROM check from 'dataDyne Research - Investigation'. However, due to a pitch black ground floor that players navigate blindly, attempting to reach the elevator without sustaining too much damage whilst protecting Dr. Caroll from enemy fire, the programmers chose to abort the connection between missions because of the headaches it would've caused those unfortunate bastards who failed to collect the Night Vision in the first place.

Another bit of support regarding my IR Scanner theory: Cassandra's bodyguards. At the end of the mission, there's a small army of shotgun toting women who are ready to blow Joanna's head off. What's strange about them? They are all equipped with Night Vision. The same Night Vision that you collected from the research labs in the previous mission. The same Night Vision that was still in an experimental stage. I highly doubt that they'd release half a dozen of these prototypes, nevermind to people outside of the lab area, without fully testing them. Desperate times may call for desperate measures, perhaps. But it only makes me believe that the original item you were to collect was an IR Scanner. Maybe Joanna began the stage with Night Vision already in her inventory, or borrowed it later from a kind bodyguard. Or perhaps she even found it in Cassandra's office, where the Grenade now rests. It's all just guesswork, now.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's interesting stuff there. Have you tried giving yourself the IR scanner, and seeing how it's like in the beginning of Extraction?

I'm not convinced they'd planned to give you the night vision in Extraction because in that case I'd think it would be given to you in the action block, and just under all circumstances, but it's not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: