ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Neo Genesis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fantastic, thanks Pavarini! I was able to import Dalton's head model in each desired location by changing the Images\05s\Matrices settings, like you suggested. I would never have figured that out on my own.

This model importing made me think about another thing; I think it would be nice to include a driveable vehicle other than the tank in my project. The driveable jeep MRKane released back in 2009 seems perfect for this (that is, if MRKane has no problem with it me using the model. He will be credited, of course).

The problem is that since this model is only available in bin.format (not as part of an original rom), I'm not sure how I should change the Images\05s\Matrices settings. The filepage on goldeneyevault (http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=161) even talks about inserting it via game configuration menu (21990), but somehow I don't find any options in this menu to import the model. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Under stage options there is a file injector near the bottom of the dialog window. PtankZ, file 0209, is what you would replace over with the new model file. As for the settings, there is a IPS patch that comes with the model. If you load that ROM with the 21990 you should be able to locate the correct Images\05s\Matrices settings.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pavarini wrote:
Under stage options there is a file injector near the bottom of the dialog window. PtankZ, file 0209, is what you would replace over with the new model file. As for the settings, there is a IPS patch that comes with the model. If you load that ROM with the 21990 you should be able to locate the correct Images\05s\Matrices settings.

Unfortunately, the file on goldeneyevault does NOT include a patch. I double-checked. But thanks anyway! I was looking under model options at first, which is why I didn't find it. I hadn't realized the file selector under stage options could also be used to select models. Replacing the tank with the jeep worked perfectly this way. I've also played around a bit with the intro logos (nintendo and goldeneye), because I'm going to try to edit at least one of them for this project, maybe even create a custom one, if possible.

I'm wondering about something else though, is it actually possible to have two driveable vehicles in the same rom? Say, for instance, you keep the tank and replace one of the standard car models with the driveable jeep? Do I need to change some extra setting to achieve this?

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SilverEye wrote:
Unfortunately, the file on goldeneyevault does NOT include a patch. I double-checked. But thanks anyway!

Sorry I was under the impression that you were referring to the bike patch.
SilverEye wrote:
I'm wondering about something else though, is it actually possible to have two driveable vehicles in the same rom? Say, for instance, you keep the tank and replace one of the standard car models with the driveable jeep? Do I need to change some extra setting to achieve this?

This is how I did it. I opened the model editor, loaded the bike model into the visual window, then loaded the tank file. I exported the bin file, loaded bike model again and imported the tank file and saved my ROM. After it finished refreshing, I nulled every display list except the base part '02 DL Full'. For that part I clicked 'import from visual window', then clicked 'textures from model' and saved the ROM again (this will replace it with the bike model).

I opened the runway setup runway and copy+paste the tank, then I right clicked on the new tank and changed the display model to use the bike. It worked in-game but it was off the ground and the hitboxes were broken, both which can be refined through trial and error.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There may be a simpler way. If there is a ROM patch that adds the Jeep to the game, you could open that ROM in the Game Configurations menu. You find which prop it replaced, save the P_Z model under Stage Options, go to Model Details page, look up the prop ID, and copy the information listed for it. Open up your ROM, replace a model and update the info to match. That's the simple method, if that option is available. MRKane may have included that crucial info in a readme file.

I believe I once tested having two different tank types in one map, and it was fine. This was back when his custom vehicles were first released. Problem is you still have access to tank rounds that can be fired from the vehicle. Zoinkity had a cool custom mod for "Tank!" (on Vault, if want to test, but does require manual tweaks to setup file, if I remember correctly), but I think he said it needed more work.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
There may be a simpler way. If there is a ROM patch that adds the Jeep to the game, you could open that ROM in the Game Configurations menu. You find which prop it replaced, save the P_Z model under Stage Options, go to Model Details page, look up the prop ID, and copy the information listed for it. Open up your ROM, replace a model and update the info to match. That's the simple method, if that option is available. MRKane may have included that crucial info in a readme file.

I believe I once tested having two different tank types in one map, and it was fine. This was back when his custom vehicles were first released. Problem is you still have access to tank rounds that can be fired from the vehicle. Zoinkity had a cool custom mod for "Tank!" (on Vault, if want to test, but does require manual tweaks to setup file, if I remember correctly), but I think he said it needed more work.

Unfortunately, no patch is provided in the 2009 file on Goldeneyevault. At first, I tried to replace other models than the tank with MRKane's jeep model by first importing MRKane's file and then manually copying the tank's settings under model details (number images, matrices, and so on) and inserting these settings in the model details of the model I tried to replace. Whew. Did that make sense?
For instance, I attempted to turn the red cars from street into the driveable jeeps: I first imported MRKane's model in place of the red car, then went to model details, and changed the red car's settings to tank settings.
This was initially only partially successful though, as the model itself got imported fine, but it couldn't be accessed as a driving vehicle, and it exploded upon bullet contact. But then I realized that the red cars were inserted as standard objects in the original setup! So when I changed the red car's object type in the setup and injected it, it worked! I still had to change the scale in a sort-of-trial and error way, but I think I came very close to a realistic looking scale.
On a side note, it's surprisingly fun to drive a smaller vehicle in GE, feels less clunky than the tank, somehow Razz

However, I've also noticed a bug of some sort: the game ends up freezing if a weapon (even the watch laser) is fired while driving the jeep, EXCEPT for the tank shells. The normal, 'unreplaced' tank model doesn't have this problem. Any idea what causes this?

EDIT: I'll include a patch that adds a driveable jeep to the Streets level (it can be found under the 'arc' between the buildings). This way, anyone who would like to investigate why the game freezes when a gun is fired from the vehicle can do so. I personally have no idea at the moment, unfortunately.

https://ufile.io/pontk

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can only guess, but the firing routine while in the tank must check for the joint positions for the object you're on, and because the jeep model you used lacks those joints it soft locks the game. By following the instructions in my previous post, you'll be able to retain the original models structure while replacing the displaylists with that of a jeep.

Apply this patch and try out Streets. As for the glitched Jeep models throughout the level, they can be fixed by changing the object type to a tank, or removing them from the setup.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

pavarini wrote:
I can only guess, but the firing routine while in the tank must check for the joint positions for the object you're on, and because the jeep model you used lacks those joints it soft locks the game. By following the instructions in my previous post, you'll be able to retain the original models structure while replacing the displaylists with that of a jeep.

Apply this patch and try out Streets. As for the glitched Jeep models throughout the level, they can be fixed by changing the object type to a tank, or removing them from the setup.

Thanks, Pavarini! Saving the model from this patch and using its settings to replace the red car model worked out fine, the game didn't crash when a weapon was fired while driving.

Something entirely different, I've been struggling with action blocks in which I want guards to walk to a certain preset. In the level I'm currently working on, no guard seems to able to find the preset they're supposed to walk to, as they just keep walking in circles. Does anyone have any clue as to why this is the case? Or does someone perhaps have some advice for creating an action block that is guaranteed to work?
I've created my action block by following the example from the Goldeneye Wiki, by the way. (http://goldeneye.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_Get_a_Guard_to_Walk_to_a_Spot)

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That happens if you put the walk to preset in the loop, trigger it once, then have a loop with a wait in it.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone.

Unfortunately, I have very bad news to announce. Yesterday, my computer was (presumably) infected by a virus, and it looked like my hard drive got corrupted or something. At some point, I couldn't even start the computer without eventually getting to a blue screen of death.

Luckily, I was able to get a startup repair running at some point. It took a few hours, but afterwards, I was at least able to get back on my account and let my antivirus execute a very rigid scan.

Now comes the catch: apparently, the antivirus thought the GoldenEye editing folder was suspicious, and it removed some of the files in it, including files of this project. There were problems with the registry as well, and even Google Chrome got completely removed.

I let a more experienced person examine my computer later, and he claimed that everything seemed fine (free of viruses), but he did mention that my hard drive could have caused the malfunction, seeing it is at least 8 years old and that my computer tends to get quite hot. I still have no 100% idea, only thing I know is that everything seems to be working fine now. I immediately made a backup of some important data though, after the man told me he didn't find any viruses.

So, this is obviously a severe setback for the project. I had some project files backed up a while ago, but unfortunately, they're at least a month old. This means that my progress of the last month has been lost, and it's a quite a bit, unfortunately. I had finished about half of the levels. Now I'm back to just five levels, some of which are completely finished, others just nearly.

Basically, it is time for me to start looking for a new computer, as well as consider if I'll still find the time and motivation to continue with the project as I had been planning to do. Right now, I'm considering fully finishing those 5 levels and releasing them, then do the same for the next five levels, etc. The biggest deterrent for me truly is the massive amount of time that is necessary to fully complete the project, and to make sure that all 20 levels are exactly as they should be. I'm not quite sure if I'll still find enough time to do this all on my own. If somebody inspired by the project's idea feels like working together with me in the future, feel free to send me a pm, of course. I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Anyway, I think that's everything. Many thanks for reading, and let's hope for the best!

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh no - that's the worst feeling losing so much of your work and time. Shocked Shocked

I really hope you can recover everything!

I store everything I do in an SVN server I run locally on my netowrk and replicate the data to Dropbox. I should take more snapshots just in case and store them on a DVD or something as my repo has gotten quite large and contains almost 8 years of my projects now.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's awful news, losing important project files. I know my computer is also getting up there in age, and I worry about something similar happening. I don't have mine connected to the Internet, so chances of it getting a virus is slim to none. But if time itself could cause issues such as you experienced, I might need to start backing things up better or looking into buying a new one.

Well, hopefully you'll be able to pick back up on this soon. Don't let this setback discourage you too much.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Malwarebytes , dude , always prompts instead of working against you , only runs when you run it etcetc

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright then, I just started continuing with whatever I was able to recover. I've got some more questions as well.

- Is there a way to change the color of some of the red text that is displayed in the folder menu? The "killed in action" text, for instance.

- Some levels don't seem to have sky settings when looked at in the game configuration menu, such as bunker 1. This is fine in the original game, but I would like to put a level WITH sky in place of the one that doesn't have a sky (Replacing Bunker 1 with Jungle). How can I achieve this?

As an aside, I'd also like to point out that, if anybody wishes to work together with me on this project, that I'll mostly be needing texturing help, and a little bit of advanced action block assistance as well. Setups I'm comfortable with, as well as text and briefing editing. It's mostly those two previously mentioned aspects that seem to be taking up too much of my time.

Last edited by SilverEye on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

everything is because of Bill Gates, he created the 1st virus that infected a macintosh by turning it into a microsoft

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: