ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye High-Res mode REVISITED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Also can I remind everyone that 330i does not exist.

The N64 ALWAYS outputs 640x480/576i @ 30/25hz via 2 fields of 640x240/288 @ 60/50hz

Now, games can have any frame size they want and the VI will stretch/squash to fit the output.

What most games do however is output 240/288p, now this is possible because of the 2 fields of 640x240/288 and telling the VI not to switch fields. (stretching vertically is done by the TV and not the VI)

So, in the case of the 440x330 framebuffer this is output at 640x240p (no field switching) meaning it is stretched horizontally and squished vertically (before being re-stretched by the TV).

The 640x480i patch uses a 640x480 frame and outputs both 240 fields (interlaced) giving pixel perfect output.

Trev

swaaye
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor do you think there is some way to run a game at 480p if the N64 has the Ultra HDMI mod?

The only unfortunate aspect to the Ultra HDMI is it lacks proper deinterlacing. I'm not sure why this is but I assume there was a good reason. 480i still looks much nicer than anything lower, but there is always combing.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd love to get this going in Gauntlet Legends!

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

swaaye wrote:
Trevor do you think there is some way to run a game at 480p if the N64 has the Ultra HDMI mod?

The only unfortunate aspect to the Ultra HDMI is it lacks proper deinterlacing. I'm not sure why this is but I assume there was a good reason. 480i still looks much nicer than anything lower, but there is always combing.

Well, the VI is only capable of outputting a 9.216Mhz (193.536 Mbits/s to the DAC) signal so no, its stuck at 640x240/288 @60/50hz.
To output 480/576p it would need to do 18.432Mhz

If you replaced the VI clock generator I dare say it might be possible, but that would need a better answer from MrKane, ebd or saturnu.

Since the UHDMI attaches to the output of the VI (Part of the RCP chip) it receives the same signal the DAC gets.

Trev

Helmsford
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm trying to get the hi-res version of Goldeneye working properly on 1964 0.8.5. I can only seem to get as far as the start mission page and then things so south from there. Music is on but black screen only.

Based on the conversations that people are having in this thread alone, its safe to say that I haven't got a clue what you guys are talking about and am a total noob, lol. Just trying to get this up and running as seemlesly as possible.

I've searched around but did not much in the way of any thread that references specific settings in 1964/PJ64 for Goldeneye. I'm not sure if I am even using the correct version of 1964. Plugin I am using is "Unofficial DaedalusD3D8 0.08 Rel. 3". Not ever sure if that is the right one to use either, lol. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Helmsford
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Double post. Sry.

Last edited by Helmsford on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Graslu
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This mod is for real hardware only. It doesn't affect emulators aside of smaller HUD, and it may cause other issues.

Get the 1964 bundle from here and use the default settings or Glide64 'Final' if your PC is capable of running it. - http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7045

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Graslu00
Discord: https://discord.gg/tksttVC

Helmsford
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Graslu wrote:
This mod is for real hardware only. It doesn't affect emulators aside of smaller HUD, and it may cause other issues.

Get the 1964 bundle from here and use the default settings or Glide64 'Final' if your PC is capable of running it. - http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=7045

EDIT

Thank you Graslu,

Got it working great with that package you directed me to. Couple questions though.... Should I just be using stock Goldeneye U rom? I have a hi-res version og Goldeneye from Subdrag that I had to create from a .dat file I believe. (it was a bit ago when I did it) When I play that version I have slow down issues. Also there does not seem to be any noticable change in graphics/textures etc. Just wondering if I am getting the best quality/performance with this or am I missing anything else.

Thank you again for the reply and help. Much appreciated.

TobiasRieper
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Goldeneye Hi Res Mod - Fixable Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys, I hope you are all doing well. I am in love with the Golden Eye Hi Res patch (640x480i) apart from the watch and the borked menus

Is there anyone that can make the watch menus stay in regular resolution (320) X 240? That way the watch and the menus wouldn't be all messed up. I would do it myself but I do not have the technical ability unfortunately. Maybe SugDrag or Trevor could help?

This would really make Goldeneye 64 perfect. With the no Aa patch on 640x480i mode the game looks so much better.

CrashOveride
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This has been done in GoldenEye romhacks like SubEye and WW2 City, however their hires modes are at 440x328.

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If I remember correctly, the way "Hi-res Mode" works is we replaced the VI Mode table with copies of the HAN1 row so that when GE accessed LAN1 it actually read hi-res instead.

This was easier than trying to find all mode change code and converting and making sure all references had the right memory allocation.

But... In the future you may get a hi-res GE with corrected watch and menus.

Trev

TobiasRieper
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:
If I remember correctly, the way "Hi-res Mode" works is we replaced the VI Mode table with copies of the HAN1 row so that when GE accessed LAN1 it actually read hi-res instead.

This was easier than trying to find all mode change code and converting and making sure all references had the right memory allocation.

But... In the future you may get a hi-res GE with corrected watch and menus.

Trev

Thanks Trev, that gives me some hope. I very much look forward to it, would be a dream come true. I'm always chasing the perfect Goldeneye experience. Would make a great mod, perfect in my opinion Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: