ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

CD-Quality GoldenEye 007 Music Revisted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, yeah, yeah!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! Very Happy

Edit:
I donīt wanted to say this, but could it be that Jet Force Gemini is missing something?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dkEGjfI1fw

You may have that said already, but if you donīt mind if i ask again. Are these rips now also based on a USF?

radorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@L.Spiro Thanks for the updates!

NutShot wrote:
You may have that said already, but if you donīt mind if i ask again. Are these rips now also based on a USF?

Not USF. If I understand this right, and I think I do, they are ripped from the ROM as MIDI sequences and the SoundBank/SoundFont (instrument samples), and rendered with professional tools, with adjustments to make up for the differences between the way the original game's engine renders them on the N64 and how more standard/professional MIDI environments work.
It's all pretty technical.

N64 games usually render audio at low samplerates (there are games that drop below 20kHz sampling rates) and, I presume, not the most precise filters for resampling and so on.

USF sets are basically N64 ROMs that have been hacked to only play music and stripped down of any data not related to that task. Then, they are fed to an USF player, which is really a stripped down N64 emulator also reduced to just playing music. But N64 audio is rendered in software, so what the USF playback gives out is, asuming accurate emulation, the same as you'd get on a real N64.

L.Spiro's work here is taking original MIDI sequences from the games and rendering them in a high quality MIDI playback environment instead.

So, in short, not USF.

I've heard of other efforts that also try to replace the instrument samples for higher quality ones. That's certainly interesting too, but the music will sound different in that case. Whether these sound better or worse will depend on each listener's taste.

If I have understood right, and I think I do, this here is an attempt to provide higher fidelity renderings that are faithful to the originals, without changing the way the music sounds.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There are no missing songs from Jet Force Gemini.
The song you posted is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZ4b-iuq4s&list=PLWsnao9n727MrYWpnGjknS1vpcMCr3Uc8&index=29

I have just added Killer Instinct Gold again, this time extremely faithful to the original sound, as yes, indeed, that is my goal.

I have to redo all of the Rare songs except Jet Force Gemini and Killer Instinct Gold to gain a bit more accuracy.
I confirm that no USF files are used (nor are SoundFonts).

L. Spiro

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After speaking with the composers and the guy at Rare who did their MIDI implementation, as well as updating my synthesizer to a new firmware that has fixed a bug I reported to Yamaha, this Perfect Dark restoration represents the pinnacle of my work. It is completely accurate in terms of panning, balance, etc., and will scratch the itches of all people who are looking for the ultimate in a faithful crisp clear clean restoration.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tol8ri2bba3v063/Perfect%20Dark.rar?dl=0

GoldenEye 007 is already being recorded using all the same settings and accuracy.
YouTube videos will be available within the week, at which point I will bump again.

L. Spiro

NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you for your hard work as always.
I almost checking this thread every day to see if there is an update or anything. Very Happy
So you redid GoldenEye already with the new fixes as far as i understand?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The GoldenEye 007 set is being recorded now, but there are some issues.
#1: I can't use the actual same settings as I did for Perfect Dark. But they should still be considered a set. The reason for the differences is because things changed in Rare's in-house engine, and if I don't adjust my settings accordingly the results are wildly different and can't be considered a matching set.

#2: There are inconsistencies between things I am being told and what I hear. I am investigating this issue.

The good news is that I am not investigating this alone. I am discussing these issues with the people at Rare who made them, and although they are just going by 20-year-old memory it helps a lot.

Yesterday I learned the anecdotal story behind why only Rare uses this non-standard MIDI curve. The composers said that something about the sound was just off, so Chris Stamper charged someone with investigating it, and he found the issue to be in the MIDI volume curves.
But why? It would have had a standard MIDI curve before that, so why would it sound strange?

I found evidence that way back then Roland was using (log10(X)*20), and most of the composers were using Roland back then. One of them told me he did not specifically think about Roland curves when saying the MIDI was off somehow, but my guess is that they were all just accustomed to hearing it through their Roland synths and so when the game played their songs back using the standard MIDI curve it sounded off (fade-outs would have been too abrupt as an example).

Koji Kondo studied at a Yamaha music school and used primarily Yamaha synths to sample music for his games, and Yamaha has, since the start, adhered to the MIDI standard, and MIDI engines from Nintendo all use the standard MIDI curve. Not likely a coincidence.

But any points about why the composers thought it sounded off are speculation on my part. It is just my suspicion that they subconsciously were used to the Roland volume curves.

Anyway, with all that being said, the point is I am having some issues with GoldenEye 007, but I am also talking to the people who would know what is happening here, so there may be delays but in the end everything should sound super solid.

I might move on to Banjo-Kazooie while I investigate these issues, but I will do more studies before going that route.

L. Spiro

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GoldenEye 007: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727PT17V5AzCkZYEQqeuVm01E
WAV pack: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kahlllo8ddyh6c7/GoldenEye%20007.rar?dl=0

Perfect Dark YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWsnao9n727OrLod3kmWZWrj6tl7IQiO-

L. Spiro

NutShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you, Spyro!
2 GB full of good music. IÂīm excited. So this is your definitive Goldeneye as you had in mind in the first place?
CanÂīt wait to hear it. Very Happy
Also, is the Download link on the updated Perfect Dark Playlist the same one as you posted before?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes to all.

I believe this is the final GoldenEye 007 set.
I had long and detailed technical talks with the developers to understand why I was hearing unusual differences.
If you play the MIDI yourselves, you will find that in Surface I, there are background wooden klonk and metal klang noises alternating. In the game, they sound very distant and quiet, panned slightly left.
In the MIDI file you will find they are panned full left and have 126 reverb. The panning sounds more left than in the game, so what is the deal? Note that on the 2nd loop, the super-low bass does the same thing (full left pan + 126 reverb).

The reverb properties were important to replicate here. It turns out that it can impact the panning quite a lot. Rare implemented a custom reverb which not-only sounded nicer than the default but used fewer CPU cycles, and it also diffuses towards center, so more reverb = a more centered sound. This brings the full-left sounds in Surface I more towards the center.

So I made a reverb environment with this important property and as you can tell it sounds much more accurate.
If anyone finds a major flaw in one of the songs I will redo it, or if someone at Rare gives me the literal reverb implementation they used and it does not cause noise artifacts, then I may redo the entire set (and in that case I would likely redo every Rare song I have).

But as it is now, it is extremely accurate/faithful, and I see no reason I will ever need to record it again.

The Perfect Dark and GoldenEye 007 WAV packs and playlist links are all the same as before. They have simply been updated.

L. Spiro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: