ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community


Original music inspired by Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eriksan008
Agent
Agent


Joined: 02 Oct 2019
Posts: 4

 PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Original music inspired by Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark Reply with quote Back to top

Inspired by the Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark video game universes, I am sharing with you a preview of an action track I composed, looking for critique. I didn't use any obvious Bond themes, but reimagined it in a similar style.

When I was a kid, a friend gave me a tape containing the Goldeneye 007 music recorded form the TV, so myself, like many here, spent a lot of time to the music of Goldeneye and PD!

What do you think of the parts? How's the mix? Would it fit any of the games? Very Happy
 
View user's profile Send private message
Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent


Joined: 18 Nov 2017
Posts: 253
Location: N.J.

 PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... This is pretty good. I'm not enough of a musician to name them, but I recognize a number of techniques you utilized to capture Rare's feel. I also enjoy how the notes progress. With the glory of the original, compressed soundfont and some more volume mixing for the brass, I believe it would feel at home in a GoldenEye level.
_________________
Quote:
22 not happening nerds. forget about it. 23 til the day i die.
 
View user's profile Send private message
eriksan008
Agent
Agent


Joined: 02 Oct 2019
Posts: 4

 PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
Hmmm... This is pretty good. I'm not enough of a musician to name them, but I recognize a number of techniques you utilized to capture Rare's feel. I also enjoy how the notes progress. With the glory of the original, compressed soundfont and some more volume mixing for the brass, I believe it would feel at home in a GoldenEye level.


I'm thrilled you checked it out and recognised the devices used and liked the notes! I knew someone from this forum would care, haha. In this new version I tried to lower the volume of the brass generally and especially around 0:34-0:50 and 1:24-end. Also did some other changes to melodies, it is still nice? Very Happy

You remind me that I actually tracked down the Goldeneye soundfont some months back! I found a program called Sforzando to load the soundfonts in Cubase. It would indeed be cool to try making such a version...
 
View user's profile Send private message
Lazlo52
Secret Agent
Secret Agent


Joined: 18 Nov 2017
Posts: 253
Location: N.J.

 PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

eriksan008 wrote:
I'm thrilled you checked it out and recognised the devices used and liked the notes! I knew someone from this forum would care, haha. In this new version I tried to lower the volume of the brass generally and especially around 0:34-0:50 and 1:24-end. Also did some other changes to melodies, it is still nice? Very Happy

Yeah, I'd say it still is. I even hear more percussion, which I like a lot!

Something I'm not quite sure how to perfectly describe, though... At 0:25, I feel the same type of trumpet is doing too many things at once? I'm not well-versed in musical composition to pinpoint what I'd want fixed about it... Maybe a different brass instrument can handle some of that? Perhaps there's a better combination of notes to use? As it stands, in my opinion, that short section blends into itself in a bad way.

It doesn't ruin everything, but it does distract me for a bit.
_________________
Quote:
22 not happening nerds. forget about it. 23 til the day i die.
 
View user's profile Send private message
eriksan008
Agent
Agent


Joined: 02 Oct 2019
Posts: 4

 PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lazlo52 wrote:
eriksan008 wrote:
I'm thrilled you checked it out and recognised the devices used and liked the notes! I knew someone from this forum would care, haha. In this new version I tried to lower the volume of the brass generally and especially around 0:34-0:50 and 1:24-end. Also did some other changes to melodies, it is still nice? Very Happy

Yeah, I'd say it still is. I even hear more percussion, which I like a lot!

Something I'm not quite sure how to perfectly describe, though... At 0:25, I feel the same type of trumpet is doing too many things at once? I'm not well-versed in musical composition to pinpoint what I'd want fixed about it... Maybe a different brass instrument can handle some of that? Perhaps there's a better combination of notes to use? As it stands, in my opinion, that short section blends into itself in a bad way.

It doesn't ruin everything, but it does distract me for a bit.


Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it since I can get "tunnel vision" after a while! Your intuition about the part at 0:25 being dissonant is completely correct since I discovered that I used a note outside the scale there, making them sound less pleasant against each other. So I have redone it a bit using more consonant notes and also removing some of the brass voices in that part, to make is less cluttered, what do you think?
 
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Cobalt 2.0 BB theme/template by Jakob Persson.
Copyright 2002-2004 Jakob Persson


Powered by BB 01, 02 BB Group

 


Please Visit My Other Sites: GoldenEyeForever.com | GrandTheftAutoForever.com

Got kids? Check out my Dora The Explorer site with games and coloring pages!

Our forums feature Nintendo 64 games, GoldenEye 007 N64 New Maps and Missions, GoldenEye Cheats, N64 Emulator, Gameshark, GoldenEye Multiplayer and more!

[ Privacy Policy ]