ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Use HL2 Hammer Editor to create GE Levels
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Were you able to follow it?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That looks awesome!
I'm absolutely gonna have to try this out for myself. Smile

One question: If you build a room model using the actual textures from GoldenEye, couldn't we just use the texture values from the original game ROM? That way, you wouldn't have to worry about reducing the quality of them. Not sure how you'd go about doing this, but it'd allow us to use better textures straight from GE itself.

I've wondered about the possible option of allowing you to change textures with the Editor in Room Positions mode. Like if you right-click on a triangle, it'd allow you to change all instances of that texture. Then you could save the room with the new data. Is this possible?

Edit: For anyone who is curious, here's the original texture ID's...

0A8A test_texture_0.bmp: 2BA (floor, 32x32)
0A8B test_texture_1.bmp: 11B (walls, 64x64O)
0A8C test_texture_2.bmp: 122 (ceiling, 64x64O)
0A8D test_texture_3.bmp: 117 (wooden pillar, 32x32)
0A8E test_texture_4.bmp: 2CF (ceramic pillars, 64x64O)

*note: "O" stands for a Greyscale type image.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you use the same exact name as the original I think it will just use the game's version instead. But our texturing commands are for a specific type of texture (color, not interlaced), so it probably will be messed up.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is suffering from the same problem as the PD levels do on my computer, could anyone who's had trouble with those try following the tutorial and see if you have the same problem?

I'm able to follow the tutorial fine and get my map imported, make a project out of it, but when I try to open that project it crashes. If I rename my texture ROM so the setup editor can't find it I can load my level and view it untextured, the same as the PD levels, so it must be the same problem.

I like Wreck's idea of using the textures already in the game, even if I wasn't having this problem with the imported textures. I've only been using GE textures in both my maps so far.

Edit:
Quote:
If you use the same exact name as the original I think it will just use the game's version instead.

Indeed it will and I got my room working by modifying my textures file. Smile

Still haven't tried it in-game yet, I'm just looking at it in the setup editor...I got my floor and ceiling textures mixed up, whoops.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent, it works in-game. One problem though:

Giant Bond! At first I thought I accidentally added clipping to the ceiling somehow, then I realized I just have the stage scale set too small. Embarassed

One issue though, with Mudlord's plugin the textures are all translucent, I'm not sure if it's a problem with using GE's textures or a problem with the plugin. I don't think I've tried any of the new stages with this plugin yet, I'm going to and see if their textures display correctly.

Edit: 0.15 seems like the perfect scale for this room.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah great it works! I seriously have no idea what's wrong with project mode. If it saves straight to project mode, there's no reason why it shouldn't load. Maybe I'm missing a file in the installer? Can you post your levelmacros.ini relating to the new level?

That's great news though!!! New levels easily!!

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think there's anything wrong with project mode, it works fine as long as the ROM doesn't have any textures added to it. The editor only crashes when one of the new textures would be displayed (Opening a project opens the visual editor, then crashes). The project I created using GE textures instead of imported textures is opening fine.

I'm going to add a bit to the test room and make a small multi map out of it.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really want to know what's wrong with these textures. It works perfectly for me, and it's really powerful. Bam, right into your new created level. Can we get in a chat sometime so I can add messageboxes and find out where it's crashing for you?

One idea is do you have a folder called "Temp" in your geeditor folder?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
I really want to know what's wrong with these textures. It works perfectly for me, and it's really powerful. Bam, right into your new created level. Can we get in a chat sometime so I can add messageboxes and find out where it's crashing for you?

I can't tonight, I'm about to sign off. If you see me on tomorrow send me a PM.

SubDrag wrote:
One idea is do you have a folder called "Temp" in your geeditor folder?

No, I don't. I'll try creating one and see if it helps.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I found a similar issue with transparency on Billy Glenn's test map, while using Jabo's Direct3d8 1.6 plugin with Project64 v1.6. I believe it was when I had set the new texture numbers back to their original values. Actually, I'd have to check again, just to be sure. However, I could see through certain things, such as the ceramic pillars and stone walls. Which sounds like it could just be the greyscale images. Yeah, I just tested it out using remote mines. They could be seen through the walls, ceiling and ceramic pillars. But not through the wooder pillar. I couldn't check the floor using this method. Perhaps with the way the textures are setup in the indice file, they aren't designed to handle the greyscale type?

Edit: So far, I've been able to correct the transparency problem with the walls and ceiling. The ceramic tiles are still acting up, so I'll keep trying until (I hope) I get them right.

Edit ii: Okay, got it taken care of. It all seems to stem from an issue with the "FC" and "BB" commands prior to the texture call. Here's what I have...

117 & 2BA (32x32 Colour) (what was set for all)
FC 26 A0 04 1F 10 93 FF
BB 00 28 01 FF FF FF FF

11B, 122, & 2CF (64x64 Greyscale)
FC 26 A0 04 1F FC 93 FC
BB 00 30 01 FF FF FF FF

I changed the data around where ever necessary, and put in the command changes where they should be. That fixed all of the transparency problems that were visible with Jabo's plugin. Only thing now, is that there are tons of flickers when using Rice's Video Plugin 5.5.1. It appears to be something with the textures, possibly being assigned errornously. Could even be the Vertice Points. As I've had a similar experience from modifying the Complex BG file once. Hard to say, with only this one sample to play around with. Perhaps you could send me a copy of your room model, DB?

Last edited by Wreck on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:36 am; edited 8 times in total

00Dark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BillyGlenn wrote:
yeah same here.
it just crash the Goldeneye editor with the "send to microsoft" error

It will crash the image compression dialogue if it tries to open a patched ROM and yet I don't know why. SubDrag needs to fix this issue. Erm SubDrag?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Figured since I just updated my SmartFTP, I'd post this screenshot...

Now, it isn't an exact duplicate of Billy Glenn's original room model, and I'll tell you why. The images he had used to create his room must have all been sized at 32x32. The actual size of some of those textures in GoldenEye (walls, ceiling, ceramic pillars) are 64x64. That means that they don't repeat as often as they did when they were smaller. A wall with six tiles, would result in only three tiles. I believe if you were to modify the U/V texture coords in the Vertice file, by either multiplying or dividing by two, you'd be able to reproduce the original - or atleast mostly. I think it depends on whether the U/V values can be halfed without rounding. That's even if dividing is the right way, which doesn't seem like it. Multiplying *should* be okay. Anyways, that's the room with the true GE textures.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you are having the image editor crashing, I am 80% sure it's because you don't have a "Temp" folder in your GE Editor dir. In the new installer, it includes this folder as empty, but if you installed to another location and just copied to keep your own files you are missing it. Please everyone try that and then use project mode properly with an imported texture ROM.

Actually Wreck, resizing an image from 64 x 64 -> 32 x 32 should have no effect in-game (other than quality). The u,v coordinates are specifically designed so you can do this sort of thing!

Example, u,v = 1.0, 1.0

In 64 x 64, 1.0 = 64, 1.0 = 64
In 32 x 32, 1.0 = 32, 1.0 = 32

So they map the same, just lower quality.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, creating the Temp folder corrected it. Very Happy

However, this is a clean install of the setup editor (I always backup my setups, then delete the old folder) in the default directory and I didn't have the folder, are you sure it's included in a clean install? I know installers sometimes have problems with empty folders, that's why some programs include useless "delete.me" files in their empty folders.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dang, maybe you're right, I'll throw something in there. It does exist in the installer but it must be not writing the folder. It will be uploaded now, so the new version will fix this (in theory).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: