ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Weirdness w/ Image Hit Types...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Weirdness w/ Image Hit Types... Reply with quote Back to top

I first noticed something in Timothy1979's Complex mission. When bullets were fired into the metal floor, they'd leave a penetrated glass impact. Now, I just figured that something in the image index must've gotten messed up at one point during it's design.

The next time I noticed it, was in a video of the Grid map being played on YouTube. Different textures would leave the same glass impact when they were hit. Again, I thought maybe the index had the wrong values.

But most recently, I've found the same problem with a map I'm porting from PD. Whenever I fire at the floor, there's a glass marking. I've exported the 21990 Main Index file, so I could look at what value was assigned to it. It was set to "00 Default". I tried changing it to "11 Stone", and the image remained the same.

Which leaves me wondering what is happening. Could the reduction to the image index table be funking up the hit types?

Hmm, I just came across something in the 21990 Main Index. After the image table, and just before the hit type blocks, there was extra data. It spanned from "02 D8D0" to "02 D9D0". After I nulled it out, the hit type textures seemed to appear properly in the new PD map. However, the metal floors in Complex still suffer. The floors in Temple and Egypt, as well as certain walls, also have this happen. So what in the heck is going on?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know that's very possible. I'm not sure how I condense the table. You'd think you wouldn't lose it though.

Kode-Z
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Same thing with the Villa port - if you shoot some of the walls they have the wrong hit sounds.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I also noticed them in Grid while testing the elevator shaft. Didn't feel like tracing it at the time. Bad bad rubber piggy.

The entirety of the 21990 block is copied to rdram; in US games, that's at 80020D90 and spans through to 8005somethingofanother. The same range is used for all sorts of random data, most notably all the pointers and values used for the intro movies, stage select screen, room data, and the list goes on. Randomly filling them with bogus data could easily cause this problem.

It has to do with the filler bytes used to extend the table. Technically, I don't think they're even required. An undersized table has never caused me a problem on console at least.

There were two earlier glitches I remember that were directly tied to the filler bytes. One was a sound issue, and the other a crash bug.

The way to test if it is filler bytes is to take an original 21990 block, feed it the updated image table, then replace any other stage stuff that would need to be editted manually. Use the compression tool, then manually insert. If it still occurs, the filler bytes are off the hook.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sent the correction. In the meantime, here's a patch you can apply to any existing rom using PD images. Do NOT apply this to a normal rom - it expects a 4-byte table and does not work with the original 8-byte one.

If and only if you are playing a USA (NGEE) rom that does not have proper hit collisions or sound effects, apply this patch.
http://www.geocities.com/nefariousdogooder/general/IMGpatchPATCH-NGEE.zip

Funny enough, they handled collisions with walls in a different, yet identical, routine. There are also at least two special-case image loading chunks that still have the arbitrary 3000 image limit, so this isn't the final fix...
For the record though editor 21990 output is 0x20 too long and at least one chunk of filler overlapped a pointer location. I think both are overwritten during runtime so no harm done, but it does happen.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The editor should be fixed now if you grab the latest installer. All new image modding and PD conversions will have fixed hit detection. If you are using my textures patches you will need to apply Zoinkity's patch above.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll give this patch a shot with the two PD map conversions I'm currently working on. So long as it corrects the problems they're having with impact images and sounds, that'll definitely help for now. I've still got some clipping left to work on for the G5 Building, which means it's possible that your final fix may be ready by the time I'm finished with it.

Edit: I just gave it a try. The impact images appear to have been corrected, as the floors in Temple, Complex and Egypt aren't leaving penetrated glass textures. However, the game is crashing on me. After I fire off a few rounds into the walls and floors, it locks up. I made sure to load up the same ROM from before having this patch applied to it, just to make sure it wasn't something else. But that one played fine. I've given it a few more tests, with each one ending in the same fashion. It's crashed either from shooting up the joint, or from simply running around unarmed for awhile. Someone else will have to give this patch a go, to see if they find the same problem as I have.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haven't been able to replicate it. Heck, I was on a shooting rampage hitting every surface I could see to test it...

Anyone else having the crash glitch error? Could be an error in the patch...

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let me try this out on the G5 Building ROM in a few minutes.
Maybe something whacky happened to the other one.

Edit: Yeah, same thing's going on. I start up any level in multiplayer, run around firing for a short time, and it crashes. It doesn't seem to have any affect on solo mode, though. I tried both Facility and Bunker i and had no problems. But Facility multi crashed in about thirty seconds...

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Added one more address to patch. It was a probably a sorting thing for images that is called infrequently. Anyway, the patch is the same address as above.

I tested this bugger again on console and no problems. Did Archives, Temple, Stack, Chicago, then a few solo stages. Didn't have a problem. It isn't breaking emulators, is it? I really can't playtest emulation...

---
Has anyone else -at all- tried this, much less had problems? Anyone?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do I need that extra line to incorporate into 21990 on every output?

DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This doesn't go into the 21990. It's in the rom itself - the region that's mapped to the TLB at runtime.

---
What mishap? Is this in a different post?

DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DELETED

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I mean do I need to output another edit of the ROM in 21990's output when I output a new ROM with the texture index to 4 instead of 8 step?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: