ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

De/Compressor for Rare's games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: De/Compressor for Rare's games Reply with quote Back to top

This should decompress and compress files for Rare's N64 games (well, except for Blast Corps, but that would be stupid)

If it doesn't run, it could be because you don't have zlib.dll

Anyway, have fun with it.

http://www.geocities.com/nefariousdogooder/general/RareCompressor.zip

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ill screw around with it later... once i get my pc back.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You'll require some files first, Zero.
There's some great documents that detail where in the ROM the compressed files are stored. Once you've obtained them, you can decompress them into a binary. That way you can check them out as how they appear in the game. It's slow at first, getting used to the thing. The GoldenEye ROM is a decent size, so knowing your way around it takes time. Time and many indexed text files! KC and myself could give you a hand with it when you start up. Wink

zerojett
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, that would be awesome. i will try to get it back by next week. ive got finals commin up, so i dont know for sure. lol, i do all this typing with a psp. umm... post the docs when you have time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
clowns789
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got it to change goldeneye.v64 into a .1172 file. What does that do?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutley nothing Very Happy . There are many special code "blocks" in Goldeneye which you use this tool for. It does not uncompress, or meant to compress the whole ROM (you can do it, but there is no point to it). The compressed blocks in a z64 ROM are marked with a 1172 header. If you cut the entire block out (up to the next 1172) and save it as a separate file, you can uncompress it. Then you can modify that, then compress it again and try to paste it back into the GE ROM. You need to aim for a smaller compressed file though, bigger will screw it up. Smaller you can just fill in with zeros so the next block is at the right address. Zoink posted a ROM address table awhile ago at RareWitch which lists the addresses of most 1172 blocks in a Goldeneye z64 file. Here is the link: http://forums.rarewitchproject.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=385&d=1121435811

Get your Hex Editor and Compressor tool ready! BTW, MrHTFords python script works better for uncompressing, you can find it in an old thread at RareWitch: http://forums.rarewitchproject.com/showthread.php?t=1843

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: