ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

[MIP] Enigma Systems HQ
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: [MIP] Enigma Systems HQ Reply with quote Back to top

Synopsis:

Started this map 2 months ago, and decided to pick it up and finish it.

Current issues:

Previous Issues:
Code:
I'm getting texture compression errors upon importing dispite making small rooms and using the convert to GE level function

Solution: U/V alignment was incorrect

Code:
I can get it into XSI fine, (though i do use a custom importer, i get an error otherwise).
The .obj i export from XSI does not have textures, but after importing/exporting from blender, all of the textures but one show up.
Opening the .mtl in notepad, it seems to be missing a line on the bottom of the missing texture's info block.  copying and modifying another from an adjacent one fixes this problem.Anyway, when all this is done, i can convert the obj using the "convert to GE room" fine.  However, when i try to import it into the editor , it crashes (without even showing the "lost device" message).  I've tried this with a somewhat optimized version, and an untouched version (but still imported/exported from XSI), and i get the same result every time. 

If i convert to GE level, it pretty much gives me an empty vertcies and indice file.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Solution: File was too big, and i was using wrong version of blender.

To Do List:

-Fix U/V values
-Redesign key areas
-Optimize further using disconnected groups
-Design And Import Custom Doors, current ones don't fit
-Fix those dang catwalks.
-Get a working hex editor
-Get more people to take the level survey that i haven't made yet

Any questions or comments are appreciated.

Last edited by Entropy Soldier on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:35 pm; edited 6 times in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This looks superb! I wonder if you have split into rooms, may be causing catastrophic buffer overruns otherwise.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, that's looking great, E-Sol.
I'm really liking the size and complexity of the map. It'll be a lot of fun running around inside, exploring all the different rooms and becoming familiarized with it. Look forward to seeing more! Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

well, it imports fine if i don't run it through XSI, so i'm pretty confused.

I'm fairly sure i did everything right, though the version of blender i'm using is the latest, if that affects anything.

i'm going to run some tests with smaller maps and see if those import okay.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If RoomVertices.bin (and one room) is bigger than 65Kb it will not import properly and crash.

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

seriously awesome map E-S, looks like Library remade

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

DF Ank1
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WTF. TharĀ“s a great map. Ha i like how you create your levels. I never could make that. But really good stuff E-S. KEEP UP!!!
Alec: Fate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for the comments everyone! :D

anyway, I've been doing some test maps, and got the importing working.

Seems like the issue was the size, though i had some trouble with blender and had to revert to 2.4 to compile the vertices right (it kept moving a few around, which screwed up the clipping).

however, from my test maps, i can't figure out how to do light cuts properly.
a few random verticies of the "shadow" area carry the information over to an area that is not supposed to be shaded, thus ruining the shadow effect.

Is there any way to be sure that this does not occur?\

Also, when exporting from XSI, will simply following the instructions on the video tutorials avoid the texture errors that appear if a tri is too far from the center?

TimEh
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Is there any way to be sure that this does not occur?\

yes there is. and its a pain in the ass. Long story short, you need to make sure the tris with light and shadow tris do not share vertices.

I thoguht just disconnecting the poly would solve this in xsi, but it seems somewhere thru the conversion vertices at the same location get merged sometimes. so what i did for every hardcut shadow(thats what ill call it) i separated the tris from the map and raised it a point or 2, so importing itno GE editor would maintain those extra vertices. Then one by one manually corrected the position of the vertices, which took a while.

Im sure theres an easier way to make sure the vertices dont get shared. but thats the way i did it for island

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, that's a very clever idea, TimEh.
Though I've yet to check out XSI, I found a similar problem with Hammer. When attempting to shadow certain areas with the GE Editor, some would be fine, while others would blend off to the wrong section and look bad. Because of the way the points are being used, and whether or not they are shared, may give unsatisfactory results.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Yurei
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh wow, I'm stunned!
This looks awesome, good luck on this one Entropy Smile

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, i'm almost finished with the design refinement, and will start importing soon.

However, i am having some trouble with my import test map.
While i assumed the "convert to GE level" option would fix the texture issue, it did not seem to do so.

Below is a pic of how i divided the rooms and the malformed tri's.

The problem only exists in the center top and center bottom rooms.

I remember reading somewhere that the rooms distance from the center would cause these, though i assumed that convert to GE level centered the room, and would eliminate the problem if the room was small enough.

Will i have to center the rooms in XSI, and then re-position them in the GEeditor, or am i just doing something wrong?

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm having similar texture issues on levels that I am importing, and I would like to know how to fix it as well. Levels don't really look that good when you have messed up textures Confused

Entropy Soldier
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yea, sort of ruins the feel of the level if they're too obvious

Do you also use XSI and the convert to GE level function?
or do you use the convert to GE room function?

Camaro
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't gotten XSI to import 100 percent correctly so I just use hammer and crafty. The level looks fine in crafty but once its imported the textures don't look so good. I'll see if i can find time to import something and take a screenshot soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: