ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye Editor Supported Triangle options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: GoldenEye Editor Supported Triangle options Reply with quote Back to top

The good news, is latest beta editor supports almost everything!

Definitions:
TopFlag - Z-order priority, when two triangles are same
Transparent - black is see thru
Alpha - d or Tr in material file makes it see thru to a %
Untextured - no diffuse texture applied
textured - normal Kd in obj file texturing

Also, very important, is that draw order matter. All Top Flags must be drawn on top of the base triangle. All transparent and alpha'd stuff must be drawn after stuff before it. The editor supports a "Reorder all triangles" menu item in room positions mode which should most likely take care of most issues though.

The following were tested (material names). If it involved alpha only secondary was tested as primary is known to not be possible:
Textured
TexturedAlpha
TexturedAlphaTopFlag
TexturedAlphaTransparent
TexturedAlphaTransparentTopFlag
TexturedTopFlag
TexturedTopFlagTransparent
TexturedTransparent
Untextured
UntexturedAlpha
UntexturedTopFlag
UntexturedTopFlagAlpha

Test files:
http://www.battlefieldforever.com/hackers/priv/subdrag/testmtlsmap.zip

Bgfile: Top Flag in primary and Top Flag Transparent primary doesn't show up at all
Alpha must be secondary, does not do any alpha on primary
Objects: Top Flag in primary flickers
Untextured alpha doesn't work
Untextured top flag flickers
Alpha must be secondary, does not do any alpha on primary

VERY Important: Do not overlap triangles in Top Flag, or that aren't. The only overlap you can have is one normal triangle, and one Top Flag one drawn after it.

The editor also supports EnvMapping and TexScaleSX.XXXX and TexScaleTX.XXXXX (fill in X with floating point between -1 and 1) not shown here.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wonderful addition! No more hexeditting ;*)

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's fantastic!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I realized I should clarify how to use these:
(and don't forget draw order matters!)

Note all values are case sensitive, so use exactly.

To make a group primary use the word primary in group, or secondary if for secondary. Each group requires one, so if in bgfile, if want Room1F, you would have two groups, one Room1F_primary and second one Room1F_secondary as the name. It just scans for the RoomXX word and primary or secondary word so they just need to be in the name of group.

To make a bitmap transparent where black is see through, use pixels of 0,0,0 as black, then in material name or bitmap name use the word Transparent.

To use alpha, just set in the material the d/Tr percentage.

To use TopFlag, have the material name include TopFlag or bitmap name include it.

To use untextured, just don't assign a texture to material. Textured, do assign a bitmap.

Also, TopFlag does seem to flicker sometimes, no matter what. If you can spare it, you want to use just triangles and shading, if you can't beware sometimes these decals can flicker a little bit - seems to be limitation of game. Emulator seems to handle it perfectly but console it will flicker a little sometimes.

Not shown in these tests:
CullBoth as part of material name or bitmap - badly named but triangles *show on both sides. Note can only shade once though, so make two triangles if want diff shades.

EnvMapping/TexScaleSX.XXXX/TexScaleTX.XXXX part of bitmap or material name for env mapping - note you also need normals to be env map normals in obj.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good job figuring it out!

I'll try those later today. I've unzipped your files and it seems they are missing a texture.txt.

Most of this features can be done with the "Replace/Group/Details" feature, right? Like if you forgot to add full material name while creating the rom, you can still use the features in Visual Editor (and even deciding which tris will have that effect added and which not).

What's the purpose of Untextured? Where are they used in GE or PD?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They are not used very often, but untextured occasionally is useful. It's used in runway to paint the stripes on the road. GoldenEye almost never used it mainly because you can't set hit type on untextured.

There wasn't any texture.txt needed, just hit escape on that menu and then convert obj. It uses all textures from ROM only.

All of these features can also be changed in replace textures dialog (which had a bug in it btw I discovered today, so you might want to grab the new beta, well, hopefully it's stable). Also some of these combos above only work on latest beta too, I fixed them as I went.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great case: the 'light' shining in the windows in Archives. That's untextured if I'm not mistaken. Probably also the 'water' in Egypt. Translucent is usually untextured.

Obviously since it wasn't finished a lot of walls in Citadel are too.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Great case: the 'light' shining in the windows in Archives. That's untextured if I'm not mistaken. Probably also the 'water' in Egypt. Translucent is usually untextured.

Obviously since it wasn't finished a lot of walls in Citadel are too.

Actually the light beams are all textured. I forget which, it's some sort of gradient. There's almost nothing untextured by Rare - all I've found are explosion bits, and the lines in runway so far (prob some lines in frigate too). I believe all water in egypt is textured for hit effect, for hit effect. Untextured seems to be no hit sound.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is a room in Complex that has a triangle that is untextured. You know the area with the spiral ramp? Above the upper doorway, you can see it. No clue why they didn't texture it properly.

Also, I think it's the Russian Soldier who has untextured draws for something. It may be the patches on his shoulders, or something with his boots. I can't remember what it was. I ran into it when porting him to PD for GEX.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Also an important note, is if your TopFlag triangles are above one's with triangle edges, it could flicker at edge in game (different kind of flicker, just shows lines).

Therefore it is recommended to try and avoid any edge overlap of one beneath it, and in those cases try and subdivide triangles.

It's unavoidable in many cases, but if you can you should subdivide instead (no TopFlag).

Note that it doesn't always happen. It may only happen at near Y=0, and far from it Y is ok, but I have not proven it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: