ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Crash on Texture Import when Importing New Levels
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah ok, so just some notes:
Textures and FBX have to be in the same folder. You need your mapping file, if you are importing manually:
0123 1F28459.bmp
0223 1F28459a.bmp
etc

If adding as importing, the file is just list of bmps:
1F28459.bmp
1F28459a.bmp

I didn't try it too much farther, let me know if more issues.

It's one room, which is not going to work - too large. Has to be chunked like a checkerboard, with rooms, portals, and clipping.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you are splitting into rooms, try your best to make sure each connecting edge is completely straight. It isn't quite as important for GoldenEye, but more so for Perfect Dark. I have issues with some GE maps in GE-X, due to how edges are puzzle-pieced together. Trust me, it will be a great help in the long run.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice guys! Ok, I've spotted the air-gap in my knowledge and that's the mapping file.
Questions:
-What do the numbers correlate to? Obviously not the texture address, is it the texture number?
-At what stage do you select the texture mapping file, or is it a named file that resides within the project directory? I've become a fan of adding textures to the ROM for memory handling reasons so this approach looks perfect

Pertaining to modelling: I've not cut the level up yet, but have designed it for square cuts and occluded visibility. This theme is also built into the others I've been working on so I'm glad that my "this is the easiest way" approach is the better one!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's two types of textures.txt

Convert and Add Images (add images, auto create mapping files on output - textures.txtMultiAddNumbers.txt)
a.bmp
b.bmp

Convert and Already Added Images (map image #s to bmps). Used when use image editor to import, or after already converted, and want to convert again.
0444 a.bmp
0445 b.bmp

They are not used after conversion, then you are fully in editor, so save as project + rooms if any geometry edit.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So textures.txtMultiAddNumbers.txt is a reference file in the project directory? Ok, that's starting to make sense now.

Suppose I've added images to unused spaces on the rom, I'll then want to edit that file to correctly reference the new images in the FBX, which is where the numbers 0444 and 0445 come in - where do I find the references for those inside the Image editor? Bear in mind that I don't have access to it ATM (am on a Mac) so I remember there being more information there and figure that's one of the numbers?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

textures.txtMultiAddNumbers.txt is just used for import time. Otherwise, yeah, it's just for reimports, not actually used once in editor.

Basically, add images or import to image editor. You click each image in image editor and it tells you the #. Use that, to be a mapping, then import your level with that ROM loaded (either in menu, load ROM images and props), or save as project and reload, then convert if already added textures using that .txt file.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Right. New computer, new problems and a little clarification Smile

So again I got another change at work with a BEAST of a machine running Windows 10 (yay?) setting up the editor seemed about much and muchness for function until I tried to import and got an "Invalid Obj file" error. I suspect it's got to be something else in the editor toolchain that's missing, or has been refused installing for some reason.

That aside: I'm still not totally clear on how to make textures that you've imported already work and get linked up. Does the editor use the textures.txtMultiAddNumbers.txt file for this? And what do you select for the first txt prompt?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You just make it as you import, you know what textures you imported to what slot then choose that and convert if already added textures, use that as txt.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry - I still don't follow. I get the idea of making the multitexture file with the likes of the texture number and the name of the texture, but the editor still comes up with a texture select option for the "Import level if already added textures" and then makes another multitexture.txt and returns an error trying to find the offset number instead of the texture name. It's like I'm building it wrong.

Also, do you know what the "Invalid Obj file" error is from? Smile

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're choosing the wrong option. You're choosing and add textures instead of if already added textures.

Invalid obj means probably it can't open the file? Is it locked by another program?

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Right, back into this:
Convert>Model File To>Level and export(if already added textures)
Open textures.txt prompt [and open texture mapping txt I guess]
Open model file (select .fbx)

See it's on the "Open textures.txt" that I've got to select the mapping file for the fbx import to succeed and the viewer to correctly link things up. That's what I was after Smile and the magic for that mapping file is the texture index, and then the texture name used in the fbx with only a space between them. Half of my issue was because I was using a non-standard text editor that I guess was being wonky. All hail notepad...

It all appears untextured in the editor however :/ I had figured that as a work process I'd be best trying to import the entire level before cutting it up to make sure that everything was playing ball and my spidey sense says I'm still breaking it somehow...could it be that it's the entire level as one room?

And I've still not resolved that "Invalid Obj file" glitch I'm getting. Is there a component that could be broken by windows 10 as the other crumb of information of information I've got is that I don't seem to have the option to import obj files.

FYI: as a programmer I'm NOT enjoying windows 10 and think the world should be magically moved to linux, metric, and everyone driving on the same side of the road Wink

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure, never seen the obj issue, but if it happens again email me that and I'll see if it happens for me. You have to load rom with textures under tools before conversion, so it actually knows about textures.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So: Pertaining to the "Invalid Obj file" issue I'm beginning to wonder if that's a problem with the computer I'm mainly working on (Windows 10 latest and greatest for developing VR). I've not been able to find a way around that despite compatibility modes, re-installs and testing different formats.

Going back to the one that does work, however, it'd appear that the textures are correctly assigned to polygons but just aren't showing up in the editor. I might have to do a more complete level and actually try it in the emulator to narrow down what I'm doing wrong and if it magically comes right. I do know that it displays normal levels correctly.

EDIT: Ok, so it looks the same in the game as it does in the editor. All surfaces are different shades of grey. I'm totally at a loss as to what could be going wrong here, but short of writing an export script for Unity or something, I think I'm about at a dead end.

EDIT2: Just a thought that there's another possibility which is something wonky with the last few versions of Blender. Subdrag: did it import with correctish texture mapping when you tried it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: