ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

setup files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: setup files Reply with quote Back to top

Could someone explain the concept of using a setup file?

As I understand it, a setup file contains all the objects that normally spawn in a specific multiplayer level. And I see that most single-player levels have been made into multi maps using the setup for the Stack.

What is the advantage of using the stack, and does every original multi map have its own setup file?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In GE, there's really only three things you need to load a stage:
1: The background file, which loads the level itself. That's basically just a neat stage
2: The clipping file, which dicates where you can actually move. That's the valid arena.
3: The setup file, which for all intents and purposes loads *everything else*

Setup files have more than just the objects. Setup files contain all the points you can load things at in a level, all the objects you are loading in, spawn points, everything you spawn with, the actions controlling play and objectives for solo, and heck, even the time on your watch when you start the level.

Multiplayer is different from solo in that only loads a small amount of the data needed to read in the many different kinds of information found in setup files. Solo stages can't use their solo setups in multiplayer or else things like the objective blocks, watch text, and certain actions will crash the game when used. So, to get around this, the solo setups are replaced with existing multiplayer ones.

Most multi maps simply fiddle with the data from another setup file. Gamesharks allow only a limitted number of codes to be active at any given time, so completely rewritting the object list (ie by uploading one) isn't feasible. So, what is ordinarily done is modifying the existing objects in a level by changing what models that use and where they are located.
Stack has a large number of objects in it, and since recently the trend has been away from actually having weapons (no offense, Scotty) more=better. Also, there's the advantage of all the doors being at the end of the level's data, so you can easily eliminate them if you don't want them to load. I personally don't care for the setup much, yet in came in handy for Dam.

Basically it's a tradeoff though. Positions are stored in the setup file, and most positions aren't going to be valid when moved into a different level. So, for each object you want to tamper with, that's 3-4 codes just to move it, then at least one more to change what it was. Doors are worse; the absolute shortest you can get away with is 7 codes, and that's if you are really, really lucky. With a cap of roughly 250 codes max, that can add up rather quickly.

To really get a good idea of which setup you should use, look at what you want in the level, how many weapons if any(sigh), and how many spawns you want. Each setup has a little something different to offer. -or just write one in hex and compress it.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: re: setup Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Stack has a large number of objects in it, and since recently the trend has been away from actually having weapons (no offense, Scotty) more=better.

I don't get what the point is of playing a multi map without weapons. Doesn't that make the only option "slappers only"?

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bitch...bitch ...bitch. Wink I did not know at the time how to hack weapons. I'm planning on rewriting ALL my levels with much better object placement and weapons. Is it that hard to use the MCM menu to turn on your weapons? Oh yeah, unless your playing on PJ64. Embarassed Don't worry, I'll put out some sweeter levels WITH weapons soon. "Sumerian" should be pretty spiffy.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: re: setup files Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone ever tried using the setup file from the Water Caverns? That level is loaded with objects like crates and fuel drums which would reduce the number of lines of code needed to insert these objects into other levels.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

unfortunately, amounts of objects a stage loads doesn't help how many codes it takes to re-write them. It takes at least 4 lines of code for each object just to place it !! If your lucky it takes about 4 lines of code to write it. Size, preset type, image tag, visibility tag Crying or Very sad

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't know about the watch time being in the setup file. That's pretty cool that you can set it yourself. Just need to remember which time zone you're in. Razz

The Stack has more weapon sets than the average stage, which is great if you're making a multiplayer version of a large mission map. Also, since it has twelve panes of glass, they can be easily converted into other props. The doors can be divided into two objects each, helping to fill out your stage even further. Unless, of course, you are able to use the doors. That would require many codes, ruling out GameShark and Action Replays. The more codes you have, the lesser the chance it'll run on console by a cheating device alone. As Zoinkity posted, you can only use approximately 250 codes at one time. Any extras will either not be activated or will cause the game to crash during the initial load.

I had started writing some tutorials about how to create your own setup files, but hadn't posted them here. KCGhost received two Notepad files in an E-mail, thus adding them to Shell's Wikipedia site. You may find a link to it somewhere in this forum. I'll try to locate it in a moment...

Yes, here it is. Here is a link to the Wiki that contains the files. You may want to save the targets as and open them up in Notepad. With the Wordwrap option on, it will save you from scrolling to the right when reading longer sentences and paragraphs. Keep in mind that these are also for people with a decent understanding of GE hacking. Future tutorials will teach those how to fill in any blanks they may run into. Such as how to find the coordinates and room pointers. Until then, here's something to have handy.

http://wiki.dotshell.net/index.php?title=Preset_Coordinates_Expansion_Conversion

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck, I've been studying this, does this mean it's possible to make a MODDED Solo-Multi stage load it's normal Solo objects? If this is true , this damn rewrite crap can go bye-bye. Cool

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: re: rewrites Reply with quote Back to top

That is what I was wondering before. If you could, it would only be a matter of custom object placements.

If this were possible, you could also point already existing multi maps (such as the facility) to their solo setup files and have them load all of their solo objects such as crates, computers, boxes, and tables.

But the question is - how could you make it load just the objects without loading all the other solo-only information? Surely there must be a way of doing this with the gameshark.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know bmw, with how much Zoink and Wreck have figured out so far, I'm starting to wonder if this is possible too. Like an "Objects Load Only" code that can turn off everything in the game EXCEPT the multi's setup file and redirect the corresponding level's Solo setup file to place the objects back into the level. OR I also thought of something else....if we could force the game to load a SOLO level in a sort of CO-OP mode and cancel out or turn off the enemies.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: re: solo Reply with quote Back to top

Depending on the level, it'd be more than just enemies - we're talking cameras, security doors, level objectives, stuff associated with the watch, and I'm sure some other things as well.

I'm sure its possible to disable all this other stuff - question is, can it be done in only 250 lines of code?

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

probably. since we don't need the codes to write the objects. there can't be that many damn pointers to redirect values too. can there? Crying or Very sad

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: re: setup files Reply with quote Back to top

Another problem I thought of would be your ammo boxes and weapons - in solo, there aren't any. Though the guards are carrying weapons - is the weapon data separate from the guard data? In other words, if you could cancel the guards from spawning, would the weapons they normally carry be in their place?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Terminating the action block, path data and intro block isn't enough. The object data contains a lot more than just the props. At the beginning of the object programming, you'll find both the watch text and objectives. Also, the enemies and outro camera(s) are setup within, a long with ID tags that link specific objects to a certain action. Forcing a multiplayer stage such as the Facility, to load based on its Solo setup, would require some work. You could definitely keep the preset pads, which are used for positioning everything in the level. However, the intro block would need to be rewritten to a different part of the memory and offset correctly to it. Though certain stages may load fine with the solo data, so long as there is sufficient enough respawns, most would crash while attempting to load in some features. I did get Jungle to load up once in multiplayer. It was almost like a co-op mission, but by mistake. Player one was Jungle Fatigues Bond, with player two as Natalya. I don't recall having any weapons, but there were non-responsive enemies. It was the Jungle mission, only in two-player mode. No fancy intro cameras or text, though. This only worked once and I've since modified the setup file. But it does show you what is possible.

Using setups to modify a multiplayer stage severely limits your creativity. Making one of your own will allow you to achieve whatever you're striving for. Multiplayer setups are a hundred times easier than a mission setup. Once I have some extra time, I'll start writing up more tutorials.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Terminating the action block, path data and intro block isn't enough. The object data contains a lot more than just the props. At the beginning of the object programming, you'll find both the watch text and objectives. Also, the enemies and outro camera(s) are setup within, a long with ID tags that link specific objects to a certain action. Forcing a multiplayer stage such as the Facility, to load based on its Solo setup, would require some work. You could definitely keep the preset pads, which are used for positioning everything in the level. However, the intro block would need to be rewritten to a different part of the memory and offset correctly to it. Though certain stages may load fine with the solo data, so long as there is sufficient enough respawns, most would crash while attempting to load in some features. I did get Jungle to load up once in multiplayer. It was almost like a co-op mission, but by mistake. Player one was Jungle Fatigues Bond, with player two as Natalya. I don't recall having any weapons, but there were non-responsive enemies. It was the Jungle mission, only in two-player mode. No fancy intro cameras or text, though. This only worked once and I've since modified the setup file. But it does show you what is possible.

Using setups to modify a multiplayer stage severely limits your creativity. Making one of your own will allow you to achieve whatever you're striving for. Multiplayer setups are a hundred times easier than a mission setup. Once I have some extra time, I'll start writing up more tutorials.

Cool, well Wreck let me ask you this. Since JUNGLE obviously is the barest level in the game...it makes sense (to me anyway) to try and make a new setup file for it. Can a setup be created that can run on JUST console? Even if we could get HALF of the objects to load (250?) or even around 100 of them. The level would look great with larger plants and trees all spread out through the whole level. I'm game for an uploader setup if you want to PM me a breakdown step by step how to write one. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: