ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

That Method
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: That Method Reply with quote Back to top

You know that method used to have more memory or something.How do you do that,because my level has very few presets and it came out pixil already.The biggest preset maybe a bookshelf.So how is it done?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You edit the -mt in 21990 for your level and increase it. But don't do it too much or will crash. There's a finite limit.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm interested in this.

I know you can edit the -mt and -ma in the 21990 Menu in order to balance the use or memory in a level and increase performance but I have some doubts about it.

What does -mt and -ma mean or do? I think -mt is related with texture memory... What is -ma related with? amount of geometry, pads, paths?
There are also -ml, -me, -mgfx and -mvtx... I haven't used these but I want to learn about them too.

And what is the limit? Should all six boxes sum a certain amount? Is each box limited too? Are all limited by the same amount or some can go higher than the others?

I've noticed that -ml and -me are always 0.
-mgfx goes from 60 to 130 (low values), being usually 70 in solo missions and 130 in multi-only maps.
-mvtx is usually 50 but rises to 100 in the multi-only maps.
-mt is the one with higher values (from 500 to 855 in solo missions and around 400 in multi-only maps).
-ma goes from 100 to 350 being usually 100 in multi-only maps and higher in solo missions (except caves which is 300).

Rey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't see that MT thing.Whats it under?

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rey, in the 21990 modifications menu go to 'Stage Options'. The -mt box is on the left.

Compare the values with the other levels and change yours accordingly.

Rey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So if i have it to high the level wont load at all?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah won't load. I'm not quite sure how they work, but you basically can lower one to increase another.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those set different memory allocations that are used at different points of the load process, as well as different times when four of the six blocks are reallocated. All block sizes are 0x400 in size.

Do not touch -m. This can used at boot to set the size of allocatable memory. It is much, much better to just let it work it out for you instead.

-mf, -ml, and -me are all used (or I should say may be used) for setting the size of various allocations, including the default text, font, and global image bank allocation, right after boot.
This is a bit complex.
If -me is set to zero (which is highly recommended), -mf is zeroed. -ml and -me are both reallocated based on the default size for the current region's ROM. If it's japanese, it will be allocated a slightly larger bank to account for the extra font mapping. Note, that means that if -me is zero -ml and -mf settings will be ignored.

By default -mf sets the size of bank 2 to 0 (font extension), -ml sets 0x52 blocks in bank 4 (general), and -me sets 0xF blocks to bank 6 (text). Note these set the actual block sizes. Most other allocation strings will subdivide these blocks.

As for ones that actually matter for stage design:
-ma sets the size of bank 4 in 0x400 blocks. This is your 'general allocation' used for backgrounds, level setups, stage-specific text, etc. If not found, it will reallocate using the last value loaded, which assuming you didn't play a stage already would be the main menus.

-mvtx and -mgfx are the buffers used for currently loaded room data. Increasing this isn't necessary unless you are experiencing 'blackouts', such as 4-player Silo or Depot. In particular, -mvtx is the vertex data for loaded rooms and -mgfx the display lists. Note these are actually a subset of bank 4.

-mt is the general textures buffer, also a subset of bank 4. Corrupted text or global images (explosions especially) are an indicator this isn't as large as it should be.

Now, assuming you're using NGEE, the actual free memory is everything between 8008E360 and 802F6000, so 0x267CA0 are actually available spanning banks 2-5. That doesn't put certain other things into account, such as items that will always be loaded with a stage and variable-sized segments of memory generated by object/actor instances in a setup file.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have some data on the Memory Allocations in the following thread, as well...
http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=783

I can't say if it is correct or not, but I wouldn't recommend going much higher than 1100 for the total sum of allocations. Depot is the highest, which is 1120. You'd really just have to play around until you find something that works for the level.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Rey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok so,to fit a little more preset i could lower one of a another level and increase mine?What number would any of you recommend for surface 2?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It matters what kind of presets you're talking about. 2xxx presets are 0x44 in size, and 0xxx are 0x28. So, for every 25 0xxx presets you would need to kick the -ma value up 1, and for every 15 2xxx presets you'd kick -ma up 1.

A normal object, which would be types 03, 05, 0C, 11, 24, 2A, and 2B are 0x80 in size. For each 1 you increase -ma you can add 8 of them.
Some special ones are just over this size, such as keys (04), weapons (08), clips (07), body armor (15), and tinted glass (2F). Assume for each +1 to -ma you can add 7 of them.

A few are more than this. You can only fit four doors (01), surveilance cameras (06), single monitors (0A), autoguns (0D), ammo boxes (14), land (27) or air (28) craft, per each -ma +1. Multi-monitors (0B) are 0x254, so you can almost fit two per -ma +1.

You can fit 64 or more of types 0E, 12, 13, 16, 26, or 2C per -ma +1.
Objectives factor into this. Starting an objective costs 0x10, each objective is usually 0x8, and some modifiers are 0x4. You can calculate it out specificly, or you can assume 128 commands per -ma +1.
About 25 rename functions fit per -ma +1, and 36 intro/outro camera positions.

Some others are a special case. 64 actor setup file entries can be added per -ma +1, but these will also generate additional information. That also doesn't account for their models, which are occationally larger than whole stage backgrounds. Although the actor data buffer is a fixed size, actor instance data is based on the number of current entries.

Tanks also are an exception. Four fit per -ma +1, but the tank itself has a lot of additional script, an additional model segment, and some autogenerated data that pushes it above this. Assume for each tank you'll need to increase -ma by 1 or 2.

Monitor images are always loaded, but the animation microcode executes in the main loop. This means overly-complicated animation sequences on multiple monitors will cause slowdown that, surprisingly, will not affect the in-game fps counter. Allocating more memory will not alleviate this. You'd have to recode the thing so monitor animations occur in a seperate thread.

Rey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did not want to make a new thread because I remembered I made this one. What do you guys think is the best MT to have for Control? Not even half way into the level, and I have some pixalated items.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's how I did goldeneye legend bro:

Test some VALUES from other setups. Use an EXACT match. Setting your own values is like Russian roulette. Wink. Use a setup that you think uses the same level size/ scale. Maybe the values sort of match the setup you are using. Example: Aztec using Silos mt values.

Also sometimes JUST set the mt value only. Also don't forget to make sure you set the other players with identical values. Wish you lived closer bro. I'd just show you. Heh. Laughing

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have learned a few things about allocations since the last time:

-ml and -me are 0 in all levels, so they should remain 0. I don't know what they do.

-mgfx helps preventing crashes while playing the level. I'm still not sure why it has so many different values, but when you lower this one by 1 point you can increase -mt or -ma by 2 points.
Console is more likely to crash than emu. On emu (when console should crash) framerate drops and some weird graphic issues happen. I figured that a safe value for multi is 70 (although you can't set it lower to 100 in some multi levels with 21990 menu. Must use hex editor). My guess is that Solo lowest is 60 since is the one Rare used, but it could be lower.
What makes levels to crash? For multi is having all 4 people shooting and rotating the view at the same time, but for solo it could be a lot of explosions.

-mvtx. I don't know what this one does, so I wouldn't edit it. It's 50 in almost every solo level or 40 in a couple of them.

-mt. This is the amount of memory available for textures. If there's not enough of it then some textures will look corrupted.
In multi levels there's an order for textures will get corrupted. First things like the crosshair, bulletholes and ammo icons; secondly the radar and sky; next the props; then characters and finally background textures.
There's a feature in editor that lets you know the amount of memory that is being used by textures. First you need to be sure your Project64 path is set in Preferences in GE Editor, then start playing your rom; after that open your project and do "Visual" -> "Calculate live -mt from PJ64" -> "Try to find (Boot GE)" -> "Start". If you are short of -mt then it won't get past that value, so you need to increase it a lot first (for example, you set it at 800 and the feature tells you only 768 are being used. if you set it as 700 it will say only 700 are being used). I would recommend using this feature with the All guns cheat since their ammo icons use more textures, and don't forget to shoot everything, hehe.

-ma. This one prevents blackouts (there are more polygons on screen that the memory can manage). Maybe you have experienced that a part of the level doesn't load until you get very close (more likely in custom backgrounds) and that's because -ma is low. Of course, after you increase it you'll have more polygons on screen and framerate will be lower (you have to design your backgrounds in order to prevent this). I think props and guards also matter, but I'm not sure. For solo missions I wouldn't change this unless you need a little extra in other allocation.
The only way to test this is playing the level and try some weird views where you see lots of rooms at once. It gets especially tricky in multi with 4P, hehehe.

I noticed in multi that the levels that are also missions (Facility, Bunker, Archives, Caverns and Egyptian) use something like 5 extra allocation points for music. The other levels which use random music don't need these extra points.

Also, the setup uses an amount of memory you can't set or see. If your level is working correctly and you update the setup with more stuff, it can cease to work because you have exceeded the total amount of memory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So long story short.

If you are experiencing texture corruption is because you have low -mt. The right amount depends of how many extra kinds of props and guards you are using.

The best way to know how much you need is by using the feature in Editor I mentioned. If you lower -mfgx to 60 and -ma to 100, you should be able to rise -mt up to 791 with no worries that the level will crash. You'll have blackouts but in order to know the exact -mt you'll have to do this. Remeber to use the All guns cheat and use all weapons, aim with the crosshair and get all kinds of bulletholes (glass, stone, metal and dirt, if there are any). When you have the value then rise -ma as much as you can.
If the feauture doesn't work for you (sometimes I have trouble to make it work) then you'll have to find the value yourself (start with a high value, see if all textures show corerctly, then start lowering the value).

Depending of how many textures you are using and how big the setup is maybe you can't fit everything. Sad

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rey you can PATCH GoldenEye Legend to a fresh rom and use the settings in there on yours. Something is bound to work. I spent WEEKS tweaking all 20 levels to make it EASIER on everyone. Wink

USE THIS FOR A GUIDE:
http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=279

NOTE: Keep in mind that some SETUPS may not be LARGE enough to hold the amount of objects you are using. You can switch them over with the editor and select a DIFFERENT multi setup in the QUICK CONVERT option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: