ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Sogun's Workshop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, Sogun, has there been any progress on your porting of the Classic Nintendo Maps pack to Perfect Dark, yet?

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I cant believe I missed the grass stuff all the way from April...
anyway, 3D textures look awesome, but yeah, high poly-count - although less than actually modelling every brick.

I think that reducing the layers and using tile tricks might achieve a better result at faster fps.

it would probably require ucode altering though to have a top layer only render for a set distance and then use tile effects for the rest.

so, for example, under your feet could be 3 layers of grass
2 of dots (the blades) 1 base.
then as the distance increases the top layers fade to alpha and are then clipped while the base layer transitions to tile2 which is a combined texture showing the grass from the side.

Since tile2 is already made for distance you wouldnt nee mip-mapping because you pre-bake that in.

you could increase the "shift" on the tile so it covers more area than the initial tile. (see TMEM doc for info on tiles and shift)

BUT, for doing this in vanilla GE.... Razz Laughing

Trev

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
By the way, Sogun, has there been any progress on your porting of the Classic Nintendo Maps pack to Perfect Dark, yet?

Sorry, I only worked on it a little last year. I run out of steam in a week. Sad

I made some changes in Peach's Castle's background in order to expand the level a little and improve navigation so it fits better with all the PD mutiplayer modes. But I was doing it in the GE rom and haven't even tested it on console.

I couldn't keep my word and focus on this project. The few times I worked with the Editor was to test some ideas I had like the skybox or the grass effect.

Trevor wrote:
so, for example, under your feet could be 3 layers of grass
2 of dots (the blades) 1 base.
then as the distance increases the top layers fade to alpha and are then clipped while the base layer transitions to tile2 which is a combined texture showing the grass from the side.

Many years ago, when creating custom mipmaps began to be possible on Editor I thought of many different ways to use them and have cool looking effects. One of those ideas was to have grass with mipmaps that slightly tilted the blades until you see it sideways, but the result was horrible XDD. I was using a 32x32 8bit color texture so maybe with 64x64 GS you could get better. That's why I switched to the fur shading approach.

Heh, if we could make teselation like in Rogue Squadron things could look waaaaaay better. We need a custom N64 graphic engine, hehehehe.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun wrote:
Kerr Avon wrote:

Sorry, I only worked on it a little last year. I run out of steam in a week. Sad

I made some changes in Peach's Castle's background in order to expand the level a little and improve navigation so it fits better with all the PD mutiplayer modes. But I was doing it in the GE rom and haven't even tested it on console.

No problem, mate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: