ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GoldenEye Setup Editor: File Format Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: GoldenEye Setup Editor: File Format Questions Reply with quote Back to top

Can I just get some quick information on the format of the geometry of the levels? I only need triangles (vertex and index buffers), no paths, objects, AI, etc.

Using Temple as an example, this is what I have figured out (followed by what I need to know):

I open Ump_setupdishZ.bin and the format is not immediately clear. I can’t find room locations even, nor paths to files, etc. Somehow when I load this file the editor knows how to find the vertices for rendering, though.

So I move on.

I look in RoomStarts\ and I open templeRoomData.txt. Pretty self-explanatory. When I load a room I am going to have to offset it by these locations.
I go to WallData\ and I find Ump_setupdishZ\.
Here I can find 69D3D0.bin and the rest of the files referenced by templeRoomData.txt. 16 bytes per vertex. No problem. I also know these vertices. I know what the first few vertices in Temple are supposed to be, and 69D3D0.bin has the first few vertices.

So I do know where some of the vertex data is, and this is the exact data I need (position, UV, color).

But I am left with some questions looking at this data.

69D3D0.bin is a vertex pool (or a vertex buffer). I know that the first 3 vertices here create the first triangle in Temple, but the 4th vertex here isn’t the first vertex in the next triangle, it’s the last.
I know that there is supposed to be an index buffer with indices: 0 1 2 0 2 3 4 5 6 4 6 7 7 6 8 7 8 9 9 8 10 9 10 11 12 13 14…

Question #1: Where are the index buffers?

Then I notice that templeRoomData.txt lists 69FBE8.bin as the final set of vertices for the rooms, but I notice that 691D74.bin is a vertex file and it isn’t listed in templeRoomData.txt.
Question #2:: Is templeRoomData.txt incomplete or do I not need the unlisted .bin files to render a complete level? If it is incomplete, how do I know which .bin files are vertex data?

Thank you!

L. Spiro

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's a github link with information that will help you with this and more.

https://github.com/kholdfuzion/goldeneye_docs/blob/master/notes/GE%20Documentation/note%20on%20compression.txt

https://github.com/kholdfuzion/goldeneye_docs/blob/master/notes/GE%20Documentation/Background%20File%20Data/background%20data.txt

https://github.com/kholdfuzion/goldeneye_docs/blob/master/notes/GE%20Documentation/Display%20Lists%20and%20Object%20Generation/ucode05.txt

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you, though as useful as those may be at some point, only one of those documents has the word “vertex” in it, and it’s display lists. I’ve already found and decoded 90% of the data I need. I’m just looking for the index buffers and possibly missing data not listed in templeRoomData.txt.

Those documents seem to be dealing with the data in the game, whereas I am working with files in the GoldeneyeSetupEditorV2.exe folder (and subfolder). These files are already uncompressed and sorted into several files. I am asking about that.

L. Spiro

Last edited by L. Spiro on Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was not aware that the temple wall data folder has some extra data not listed in the roomdata file. I don't mess with these files at all so someone else more familiar with them will need to reply, or you can ask on the N64Vault discord for replies from people who are not here.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

V2? Little out of date, don't you think? Razz

I seem to recall the old builds came with two variations of the background data (bg and bgfull?), but that is going back quite a few years now. Are you referring to the BG data that sets the whole file, with the offsets to each 1172 compressed file, the room centers, portals, and special visibility?

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I thought I had a newer version but it seems I didn’t copy that one to this new laptop when I moved back to Japan. Let me just get version 4 and peruse the files a bit…

I’ve caught myself up to where I was before. Things are just in in different folders.

If the BGDataFull\ files are what gives structure to everything then I am likely to need them, I guess. If there is no other way to access all of the vertices in a level directly, such as via RoomStarts\.
Is the data in RoomStarts\ incomplete?

Starting where the editor starts, let’s say I load Ump_setupdishZ.set. How do I know which BGDataFull\ file to load? I’m guessing there is no way around parsing the .SET file, although I need only parse it just enough to locate its associated BGDataFull\ file, I hope.

Once I find the associated BGDataFull\ file, then I guess I need to parse that. But just enough to give me the vertex data (which I know to be in WallData\ and I know how to parse), index buffers (which I can’t locate at the moment), and room offsets (which I know can be found in RoomStarts\, but I suspect there is a copy of that data inside a .BIN file that I should be using instead).

L. Spiro

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you want the vertices and display lists extracted from a background file, the quickest method would be to open a level in Visual, switch to room mode, then right click and choose the top option. Export room positions to text file. Save the .txt file to a new folder, and you will also get the room files with it. Portals can be exported under portals mode, as can any special visibility used by that map.

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, that exported all of the same .BIN files that were originally listed in RoomStarts\.

tinker tinker tinker
peruse peruse peruse
bang bang bang
thud thud thud
twist rrriirrr twist rrriirrr

Okay! I think I can work with this! Thank you!

L. Spiro

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there something special I need to get or do to load Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, etc., levels?
4.40, Dec 15 2023 build.

L. Spiro

HackBond

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

L. Spiro wrote:
Is there something special I need to get or do to load Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, etc., levels?
4.40, Dec 15 2023 build.

L. Spiro

You need to switch the editor to the respective game

Tools > Switch Editor Game

L. Spiro
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you!

L. Spiro

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: I know what Spiro is doing :D Reply with quote Back to top

If you can create a geometry mesh tool that can replicate exact layouts from the GE equivalents you could literally exact PORT GE levels into any game format yes? Very Happy

I would love to do this with source engine more accurately using models ripped from N64 GE geometry Cool

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The set file (setup) has no knowlage of the BG file.

Since you have the decompressed assets the vertex stuff is
a vertex list
a display list (primary or secondary)

the vertex list is a list of all vertices for each room (not buffer)

the display list then loads the buffer with the G_VTX command (04 I think) which places n vertices into buffer from index i.

so, perhaps the reason you dont see the 2nd triangle is because the triangle addresses a different vertex
eg
gsSP4Triangles(0,1,2,8,12,10,2,1,3,7,8,9);

or it happens on another buffer fill.

Trev

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: